Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
For your stated intended use, I think a Cobra/GT40 intake or a Performer would be best. They have longer intake runners that will produce torque lower in the RPM range which is more desirable IMHO for the street part of your mostly street street-strip car.

If you want impressive HP #'s or want more of a race car, and don't mind loosing a little of the low end grunt, you'll need to make the torque higher in the RPM range and thus a short(er) runner intake will be best.

Let me put out from the get go that the Cobra isn't the end all be all in intakes. Before everyone bashes the $hyte out of it rightfully saying it is an old design and not conducive to big power #'s, look at what DarkPony has done with his car (12's on stock heads and cam). His big "power maker" is a Cobra upper and lower intake. One other thing with the Cobra, you won't need to creatively rearrange your hood liner or make other "minor" changes to get it to fit 100%. I'm not saying all aftermarket intakes have problems with fitment, but there are a lot of stories on here about "how much do I need to grind on the valve covers with X intake" or "why won't my hood close with Y intake" etc.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
by the way, spending $300-$500 on a Cobra (or other) intake will help your car rev better and give your GT some of the 96+ Cobra's revving ability at the cost of 1 months payment on a newer Cobra. (I'm pulling this from one of your other revent threads).

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MKoebra95 said:
For your stated intended use, I think a Cobra/GT40 intake or a Performer would be best. They have longer intake runners that will produce torque lower in the RPM range which is more desirable IMHO for the street part of your mostly street street-strip car.
Thanks man, yes that is exactly what I'm looking for. But should I go cobra or performer? Which would be better?

·
Registered
723 Posts
MKoebra95 said:

If you want impressive HP #'s or want more of a race car, and don't mind loosing a little of the low end grunt, you'll need to make the torque higher in the RPM range and thus a short(er) runner intake will be best.

Let me put out from the get go that the Cobra isn't the end all be all in intakes. Before everyone bashes the $hyte out of it rightfully saying it is an old design and not conducive to big power #'s, look at what DarkPony has done with his car (12's on stock heads and cam). His big "power maker" is a Cobra upper and lower intake. One other thing with the Cobra, you won't need to creatively rearrange your hood liner or make other "minor" changes to get it to fit 100%. I'm not saying all aftermarket intakes have problems with fitment, but there are a lot of stories on here about "how much do I need to grind on the valve covers with X intake" or "why won't my hood close with Y intake" etc.
Agreed.

I know of a guy with almost the exact same combo as me, but with a performer intake. Hell, guranteed his car is lighter than mine...He had a better ET(due to drag radials) but I had almost a solid 2 mph on him. With a stock Cobra intake. I went [email protected] to his [email protected] or sumthin like that...I had 18's, full stereo(3 10's, 3 amps) etc etc, not to make excuses but he has neither and they for sure dont help me.

You cant really go wrong with any reasonable intake for your app. They all work good. But if you could get a Cobra cheap, I would.;)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MKoebra95 said:
by the way, spending $300-$500 on a Cobra (or other) intake will help your car rev better and give your GT some of the 96+ Cobra's revving ability at the cost of 1 months payment on a newer Cobra. (I'm pulling this from one of your other revent threads).
Hehe thanks man. Yep I wanna rev! :D

95CobraofDeath - Thanks, thats exactly the kind of response I was looking for

Andy

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I have only had first hand dealings with the Cobra intake. I have heard nothing but good things about the Edlebrock Performer. You should listen to a bunch of people before you make a decision. My opinion though: I would choose the Cobra for two reasons as the two intakes will preform pretty close to one another in your application:

1. The Cobra will have outstanding fitment on your mostly stock car, since Ford used it on a production car it has validated itself there. I'm not saying the Edlebrock won't fit, but you are 99.9% assured that the Cobra will work on your car.

2. It is made specifically for your car: ie it has the intake neck built on it. It is my humble opinion, that the aftermarket neck that is required to get all aftermarket intakes except the 94/5 Cobra to work with our cars looks like a cheesy after thought. That is my opinion, and I will say that if I were building a high-winding, high-power sn95, I'd go with something other than the Cobra and take the "hit" on the looks.

·
Registered
723 Posts
MKoebra95 said:

2. It is made specifically for your car: ie it has the intake neck built on it. It is my humble opinion, that the aftermarket neck that is required to get all aftermarket intakes except the 94/5 Cobra to work with our cars looks like a cheesy after thought. That is my opinion, and I will say that if I were building a high-winding, high-power sn95, I'd go with something other than the Cobra and take the "hit" on the looks.
I think the elbows look cheesy also...

My buddy makes almost 430 rwhp on a S-Trimmed 120k stock internal Cobra motor, inc. the intake. Pretty conservative tune for the heat out here also(18* total timing and 11.1 a/f)

Im sure a good aftermarket intake like the TFS R or Holley would be better for it, but it still makes pretty kick ass power for an intake like said above, is stock, will fit perfect and doesnt need cheesy looking elbows. my 2 pennies:D

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I have the Cobra intake and love it. I ported/polished it and also powdercoated it. It looks and performs good now. I only paid $250 for it because someone in the parts forum was selling cheap because he was upgrading.

If I had to take a guess, a used Cobra intake is probably the cheapest one to find, because it is a stock part that frequently gets upgraded. For your combo a Cobra intake is great.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I went with the Performer and it is a world of difference from stock--in a good way. It's stronger all over the tach and it revs a lot easier. Also, has better throttle response. If buying new, it seems like a better deal than a Cobra. Buying used would make things a little different.

·
Registered
389 Posts
performer...maybe in the future youll need a intake that supports higher rpm..with the performer you can upgrade it too an RPM...whereas the cobra can be made into an interesting flower pot or perhaps a really cool Habitrail for your gerbils.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
you can port the Cobra, or you can resell it. There will always be someone out there in your situation who wants to upgrade. An aftermarket intake will never become a "flower pot" unless you mess it up. If you buy a Cobra intake used, I'll bet you can resell it for the same price you paid for it. The resell price on them has been right at 300-350 for the past 3 years, depending on if it is a 94/5 Cobra take off part (higher $$) or the FRPP one and the shape it is in.

·
Registered
381 Posts
i just installed my track heat intake on my combo and it feels pretty good. ( i haven't had it dyno'd yet) it feels like i might have lost a little low end, but i'm looking down the road at the blower i'm saving for, so i'll have a decent setup once that time comes.

if anyone can help a little, one of my o2's went bad wheni changed the intake. would a little coolant spilled in an intake port on the head cause this? i've heard that coolant can kill o2's.

(btw, my cobra is for sale if anyone wants. PM me!)

·
US Navy Active Duty
652 Posts
I love my Cobra intake. I know there are better intakes but it suites my needs for a street car. Plus, I love the looks of the intake, 94-95 Cobra's will always be one of my favorites. There are many making 450+rwhp on blown applications using the Cobra intake. Hopefully, I will soon be one of them.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
The cobra intake is a very capable intake and really doesn't get the credit it deserves. It may not make the ultimate top-end numbers that some of the intakes make, but the "area under the curve" numbers are excellent. Personally, I would rather have a nice fat torque curve than I would an intake that takes awhile to 'come on'.

A side note, Daves car (forced347) makes 591 at the wheels with a ported cobra. I too am hoping to make this same number (or better!) with my new blown 347 with a ported upper and lower intake.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
94Fauxbra said:
performer...maybe in the future youll need a intake that supports higher rpm..with the performer you can upgrade it too an RPM...whereas the cobra can be made into an interesting flower pot or perhaps a really cool Habitrail for your gerbils.
An extrude-honed Cobra intake will outflow a Performer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts