Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had a perfectly fine 302 shear a dizzy gear roll pin and spin a bearing. because it is EDIS, it did not loose spark so it ran maybe a mile or 2 unnoticed with no oil pressure and seized up. the cam syncro was a BWD brand and i noticed it had much weaker looking rollpins than my spare Motorcraft one i had. oil pump was a high volume and was perfectly fine after inspection, was using hardened shaft but not the ARP one because i know about those issues. my Motorcraft syncro will be fine temporarily but think bearing is going out, whats the best roll pin to use?

·
Registered
129 Posts

Or, you could drive a pin out of the motorcraft with a punch and install it in the other unit.

The other problem with all of the aftermarket distributors / cam syncs is that the gear is loose on the shaft. The factory pieces are press fit.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I agree the press fit takes a lot of the load off the roll pin.
They do make a heavy duty type roll pin with a lot more shear strength than your standard pins,I would look here.
McMaster-Carr

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
1/8" x 3/4" is the correct size? or does it need to be drilled to 1/8"? the huyett pics are cheap but have a minimum of 15 pack to order which is fine being only 2$. problem is to place an order a 50$ minimum is needed. dont exactly need 375 roll pins. guess ill get that McMaster cause then i only need to buy 100

edit: ordered the McMaster 100 pack of 1/8 x 3/4 HD coiled pins. hopefully out of 100 of them i can get a couple to install easily enough

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you had me legit worried i ordered the wrong size till i looked it up. i was confused thinking .225 was OD and .990 was length

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ya. seem like a good quality pin. install was not too bad on the 3 i installed.

the one in my Motorcraft syncro held up to my oil pump locking just this friday. turned my Melling hardened shaft into a Twizzler. dont think i could ask for the pin to do much more than that

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
he is saying size of a wrist pin for pistons. its suppose to be a joke i guess. not really funny. i thought he was serious first that i needed a 0.225" diameter by 0.990" long pin till i googled it and it came up as a piston wrist pin

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
he is saying size of a wrist pin for pistons. its suppose to be a joke i guess. not really funny. i thought he was serious first that i needed a 0.225" diameter by 0.990" long pin till i googled it and it came up as a piston wrist pin
Yeah, diameter x wall thickness. Oddly, Probe doesn't make that size in H13, only in 52100 bearing steel. :unsure:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts