Ford Mustang Forums banner

Best 1/4 Mile & Mods for '96-'98 Stangs

5K views 49 replies 23 participants last post by  96gts4.6L 
#1 ·
List the quarter mile times and mods for the '96-'98 stangs out there

#3 ·
The best I have gotten in my 98 GT is a 14.196 at 96.7mph...At the time I had 3:73 gears, Steeda Short-throw shifter, K&N drop in, and 2 1/4 weld in pipes where the mufflers were....I also had 275/40/17 tires on the rear....The car consistently runs 14.3's at 96.....

#4 ·
14.67@80.XXX.... I was on the breaks, and ended up breaking out anyways.

9.14 @ 76 mph 1/8th mile

Too many mods to list.... All still under $200 each, though. Trying to stay on a budget, yeah right, these "mods" are nickel and dimeing me to death....

:evil: :evil: :evil:

#6 ·
13.562 with 2.2 60' times.

Carlsbad is a real crappy track hope to be at California speedway June 8th and 9th for good traction.

#9 ·
My best time is listed in my sig. That was at Rockingham. This was my first time ever at the track. Traction was a BIG issue. With my new cat back and some nittos I think I could be a lot closer to 14 seconds.

#10 ·
Just ran last night, long lines, cars puking left and right, 3 passes with the best of 15.06. Stock was 15.51 The few mods I did made a difference, and the car is fun for a daily driver, but all that cash would have gone a long way towards a head swap, nitrous, or a blower. If you are patient unlike me, save your pennies and get one of the three!

#11 ·
time in sig

#13 ·
See Sig

Also heard of a 97 go 13.6 w/ a 1.7 60' and 3.73's and offroad H-pipe and no mufflers. He lives in Naperville, IL.

#14 ·
CRAIG97GT

97 white GT with following mods: 4.30 gears, P&P SVO heads, SVO intake, MAC LT headers,VRS X Pipe with magnaflow catback, HP regrinded cams, off road H pipe, saleen ground effects, UPR powerpipe, Steeda timing adjuster, pullies, 90/10 lakewood stuts & 50/50 shocks, kirban fuel adjuster and a few other mods.

X-Pipe or H-Pipe? :confused:

#16 ·
With 3.73s, Pro-chamber, and hacked air box (open filter in bay), I went 9.11 @ 78.52 with a 2.0X 60ft. That was on 245/45 Firehawk SZ50s.

Current best is in sig (hey, you said '96-'98s! ;) ).

-Pat

#17 ·
must98gt said:
See Sig

Also heard of a 97 go 13.6 w/ a 1.7 60' and 3.73's and offroad H-pipe and no mufflers. He lives in Naperville, IL.
Okay, how about a 96 GT that lives in Texas and runs consistent 13.8xx's? ;)

HP mods: pulleys, off-road H, and a home-made CAI.

Suspension: HPM UCA Sr's and HPM LCA Jr's.

Driveline: alum driveshaft, pro 5.0, 3.73s, and for the track I bolt on a set of worn out asz 17" Nitto DR's.

These are my only worthwhile mods, so that's all I listed.

See sig for other misc. details.....

#20 ·
Joel 98 GT said:
Best 1/4: 13.62@99.84

Best 1/8: 8.61@78.77
Okay Joel, spill it, what have you done?

Have you done a head swap, cause that mph is sort of indicative of it?

#21 ·
Actually, this is a STOCK motored 98 GT(no head swap yet). the 13.62 run was made at Gainesville last Sept. I was at Gainesville two weeks ago and ran a 13.67. The track temp was 100 degrees. The rest of my runs that day were in the 13.70-13.68 range. I use Hoosier Quick Time Pros(similar to ET Streets, only a softer compound) at the track. The car has been dyno'd at 215RWHP/298RWTQ.

Engine/Drive Train Mods:
C&L 80mm MAF
Steeda Timing adjuster(16 degrees)
Accel Coil packs
MSD DIS4(mainly for the twostep)
SVO Steel Billet Flywheel
Spec Stage II kevlar clutch
March Pullies
B&M Ripper Shifter
4.10 gears
31 spline Trac Lock
Moser Axles

Suspension Mods:
Coil overs all around
Lakewood 70/30s on front, 50/50s on the rear
Ground Pounder UCA and LCA
SVO Sub frame connecters
Drag lite skinnies
This is also my daily driver. I think with the head swap I could be real close to the 12s.

#23 · (Edited)
Joel 98 GT said:
Actually, this is a STOCK motored 98 GT(no head swap yet). the 13.62 run was made at Gainesville last Sept. I was at Gainesville two weeks ago and ran a 13.67. The track temp was 100 degrees. The rest of my runs that day were in the 13.70-13.68 range. I use Hoosier Quick Time Pros(similar to ET Streets, only a softer compound) at the track. The car has been dyno'd at 215RWHP/298RWTQ.

Engine/Drive Train Mods:
C&L 80mm MAF
Steeda Timing adjuster(16 degrees)
Accel Coil packs
MSD DIS4(mainly for the twostep)
SVO Steel Billet Flywheel
Spec Stage II kevlar clutch
March Pullies
B&M Ripper Shifter
4.10 gears
31 spline Trac Lock
Moser Axles

Suspension Mods:
Coil overs all around
Lakewood 70/30s on front, 50/50s on the rear
Ground Pounder UCA and LCA
SVO Sub frame connecters
Drag lite skinnies
This is also my daily driver. I think with the head swap I could be real close to the 12s.
So, you have a crap load more mods than I and you're only 2/10ths quicker, please don't take this as a flame. I could only imagine if I had an aftermarket clutch or some of the other mods you listed. All the mods I have I listed above but here they are again:
HP mods: pulleys, off-road H, and a home-made CAI.

Suspension: HPM UCA Sr's and HPM LCA Jr's.

Driveline: alum driveshaft, pro 5.0, 3.73s, and for the track I bolt on a set of worn out asz 17" Nitto DR's.

Looks like I am THE quickest 96-98 GT with the least amount of mods. :)

BTW, mine dynoed at 199rwhp and 273.6rwtrq.

#24 ·
Hmmm.......I didn't think this was a contest. Most of my mods are for safety and/or reliability. Some make the car more consistant at the track. I race this car at the track every weekend during the racing season and have to have the equipment that will handle the abuse every week. I didn't think that this was a "Who has the quickest car" post. As far as the only 2/10ths quicker, see what it takes to get your car there and then come talk to me.

No flames intended, just a reality check.

#26 ·
Joel 98 GT said:
Hmmm.......I didn't think this was a contest. Most of my mods are for safety and/or reliability. Some make the car more consistant at the track. I race this car at the track every weekend during the racing season and have to have the equipment that will handle the abuse every week. I didn't think that this was a "Who has the quickest car" post. As far as the only 2/10ths quicker, see what it takes to get your car there and then come talk to me.

No flames intended, just a reality check.
Uhhh, okay. I wasn't trying to make it into a contest, but if that's what you'd like, then that's fine. I was just stating that I am almost where you are at, BUT with less mods. What's this animosity towards me, I don't know you and you don't know me. I was just stating the facts, captian obvious.

BTW, no flame intended here either, just some friendly conversation. I also wish I could afford to have some of the "consistent" mods that you have, but I'll eventually get there, and quicker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.