Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will be doing a 73mm caliper brake upgrade with the 94/95 MC as well. I would like detailed instructions on doing this upgrade since I've never worked with the brakes in depth. I have searched this forum for this topic, and found a lot of stuff, but nothing that has instructions on how to do this. There are a few links to websites, but one of them doesn't work, and the others are not to informative. Some of my questions are as follows:

1) How do I bench bleed the MC, and if I do a full pressure bleed on the system, do I need to bench bleed the MC?
2) I have a pressure bleeder, when do I pressure bleed the brakes? Should I bleed the fluid out before doing anything? And then when I install the calipers and MC, put new fluid in?
3) When doing the 3 to 2 port conversion, do I need to know anything extra....like your experiences doing this? Should I use teflon tape, or something equivalent when using the T fitting?
4) What type of pads do you recommend for these 73mm calipers?
5) What is this rod everyone is talking about on the MC? What needs to be done with it?
6) What is a flair wrench?

I'm sure theres other stuff that'll come up, but I can't think of them now because I've never done this before. Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Mainly just subscribing, but.......

.....I can at least answer the flare wrench question. :D

A flair wrench is a wrench with sexual orientation/gender issues.

A flare wrench is sort-of a cross between an open-end and box-end wrenches. The opening is just big enough to slip over a brake line to where you can then slide it onto the nut/fitting. Being almost closed, the wrench will grip the nut/fitting like a box-end wrench, thus negating the tendancy to slip and round the nut/fitting.

I have some of the parts myself to do exactly what you're about to do. I'm just waiting on the time to be able to do it!

Wade

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are there different sizes of flair wrenches? Where can I buy one?

Yea, I'm just waiting on time to do this....another thing is that I've been doing some extensive searching on this forum, and it looks like its a little more difficult to do this conversion than I thought. Many people have varying success with the change over, and some have to bleed the brakes numerous times, and still don't get the feel they want.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know what size flair wrench I would need for my application? Metric or SAE?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
First stop, parts store.

First purchase, Haynes or Chilton's manual.
Second purchase, complete wrench set and flare wrench set.
Third purchase, 4" pipe wrench for those stuck fittings.
4th purcahse, MityVac.

Now purchase your parts and fluid.

Go home, look at the manual you bought. Instructions and troubleshooting and OMG! PICTURES!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I actually do have a Chiltons manual, but its at my uncles place, so i'll have to go pick it up. I guess it has some info on bleeding the brakes and bench bleeding the MC? Along with what tools are needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts