Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can having a belt that's too tight cause a problem? I bought a new belt and it was a bitch to install. I ended up using a prybar to get it on. It was the same number as the belt that was put on the car before. It's not the original belt though. I'm guessing it was changed when the S-Trim was installed.

The tensioner is at the extreme end of it's range. If I push down on the belt slightly, it'll reach it's full travel. Should I get a longer belt or just leave this one in. I've been driving it around pretty hard to try to force it to stretch too.

Thanks,
Henry

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The biggest issue with lots of belt tension is it puts a lot of stress on the 1st main bearing, crank and blower shaft. It is never good to that tensioner maxed out so I would get a belt .25" shorter.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I called up gates and they said that the belt I have is 103 and 5/8 in length. The next belt up is 103 and 7/8. The next one after that is 104 and 1/4.

When I say the tensioner is maxed out, I mean it is MAXED OUT! I had to use a pry bar to get it on and the tensioner doesn't have alot of wiggle room left in it. The belt stretched a little but the tensioner is still maxed out.

Should I go one size up or just jump two sizes up?

Henry

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I'd try the 103.875" you could always buy both and try them, then return the one that doesn't work. A little tight isn't an issue since it will stretch.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I have another question and this one also concerns the belt.

When my car was N/A, the belt was routed a certain way. After the blower install, the belt was too long. The guy didn't have a shorter belt so he just took a longer belt and rerouted it.

The pulleys still spin in the same directions as the original routing, it's just that the belt is routed differently and it's longer too.

Should I get a shorter belt and route it correctly or should I just leave it the way it is?

Thanks
Henry

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I'd route the belt correctly if it was me....

If you have an old trash belt, cut the belt then route it around your pullies and make a mark so you know how long the new belt needs to be, make sure you account for the tensioner pushing the belt down...measure it and go buy that length belt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts