Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I am driving pretty agressive and shifting hard I am getting what sounds like a belt slip. It mainly happens on my 2-3 shift. Anyone have any idea what it is? And if it is the belt slipping, what's causing it?

Thanks in advance,
Adam

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
It may just be the Blow Off Valve too. If it's between shifts, the belt shouldn't slip cause you really don't have any strain on it.
You will know if your belt is slipping, you will have all sorts of belt dust all over the place. Not to mention you will notice it on your boost gauge. Also, check your tensioner, sometimes when they start to go, they make a little noise when you get on and off it. ( I mean the Ford tensioner)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Its possibly the belt hitting against the front engine cover. Mine hits where the belt runs from the alternator down to the lower right pulley. Its got black marks on the cover from where the belt rubs and aggressive shifts.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am NA, for now atleast. I don't have any dust and I have noticed any marks. I get a bad feeling when I hear it too. I will look closer in the morning for marks. I'm just trying to figure out my problem before I install U/D pullies which should be here Monday.
As for the clutch, would it sound like a belt slip? Its almost a destinctive rubber metal squeak and its coming from what sounds like the front of the engine.
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Any other thoughts are surely welcome.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi,

Just out of curiosity, how many miles are on the car and when was the last time you changed the belt? Maybe the belt has stretched to where the tensioner can't keep it tight.

Dan

·
Registered
364 Posts
Its the belt, my friends Stage 2 Roush does this too whan I am driving aggresively, but its nothing to worry about, just a little belst slippage. Im positive about this, its specialy audible when I powershift his car from 2nd to third. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had the same problem until my car got over 5k on it. I have not noticed it since.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
58k on the car. Just put a belt on it less than 3k ago and it just started recently. I am putting u/d on so if its the belt I should kill that problem tomorrow.

Sorry for the confusion lotsaspray. I got to thinking after I posted that it may be confusing on my title.

Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
27 Posts
yeah, that nosie kinda kept me from powershifting 3rd. Its the clutch chattering. Kinda sounds cool but i know its not good for the clutch.

·
Registered
337 Posts
It's either the belt tensioner or the belt. I have an automatic and ever since 16k mile my car does that sound between 2nd and 3rd. Not sure why it only does it for that gear change. It sounds like a squeek and only at WOT.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Mine squeals too. I had a 99 GT auto when they first came out. It did not squeal. However, the magazine test car in MM&FF back then had their tensioner die at I believe 3500 miles. It was the article they did with the red 99 vs. the red 93 5 liter on the cover for those of you with older magazines. Ford was supposed to come out with a stronger tensioner for 2000. My 03 5 speed does it on every hard 2-3 shift since the test drive. It happens on the F150's too.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The belt in my '00 GT slips on hard upshifts -- it always has, since the day it was new. This seems pretty common with the 4.6L, from what I have seen (and heard).

About a year ago I got a Lincoln Continental (4.6L DOHC) as a loaner while Ford was doing some warranty work on my GT, and it slipped on full throttle upshifts too -- and that's with a smooth shifting *automatic* trans.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts