Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off what does EGR stand for. Second, what does it do? i have heard of people removing the EGR and they still have a functioning car. What are the advantages/disadvantages of removing the EGR. Thanks.

·
Registered
35,621 Posts
Exhaust Gas Recirculation -- exhaust passes from ports in the center of each head into the center of the intake manifold. From there it passes through an annular space to the egr spacer where the computer tells the egr valve to admit some of the exhaust into the intake combustion air stream under part throttle conditions. Engineers found emissions could be reduced and fuel mileage increased by doing so. No exhaust is admitted at idle or at wide open throttle. The consensus seems to be that no performance advantage comes by disconnecting it since it's not functional at wide open throttle. And the computer does consider that the exhaust displaces some air when deciding how much fuel to inject, so some say the mixture can be a bit off at part throttle if it's disconnected. At the end of the day, I think most remove it simply because they don't like the cluttered look in that part of the manifold - 10 pins, egr, pressure regulator - it's kind of a mess. And of course, it's illegal to alter it as it's part of the emission regulation system on the car. Lastly, disconnecting/removing it causes error codes in the computer, usually an accompanying check engine light, and some have drivability issues - as the computer is expecting that component to be there, and thinks something is wrong if it's not. You can avoid that by using a chip to turn off the egr function, or there's a fellow named Ron Morris (www.ronmorrisperformance.com) that sells a little plug-in device (plugs into the egr valve part of the harness) that tricks the computer into thinking all's ok. If you remove it and the egr spacer completely, and go with one of the thinner spacers to mount your throttle cable bracket, the fact that the bracket is about 2" closer to the manifold causes the bracket to interfere with the valve cover. I had to go with a 1" phenolic spacer between lower and upper to get it to clear. And of course, the rest of your air intake piping will have to be adjusted accordingly.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
That is a good write up.

For the mileage, this may be debatable, but when I installed the explorer intake w/o the internal EGR (so non functional) my mileage stayed the same. I can still get 28-30mpg cruising 70-75 on the freeway with 3.08 gears.

·
Registered
35,621 Posts
On an individual basis, it's pretty tough to compare gas mileages - so many variables. The EPA mileage test, which is the one the engineers were thinking about when they design this stuff, actually runs a car on rollers over a simulated highway/city loop, collects all the exhaust produced, determines the mass/volume of the components and calculates gas mileage. Doesn't seem to mimick the real world, but it is repeatable, not subject to weather or driver variation, and allows car to car comparisons.

·
Registered
35,621 Posts
Oh - BTW - 28-30 - I WISH mine would get anything close to that. 22 on the highway is the best for me - same speed. 3.73 gears and "brick" aerodynamics don't help any.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. As far as gas mileage is concerned, i wish i got close to what you guys get. City for me is 9-10 and highway 16-17.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
that ron morris kit did not fit my upper stock manafold, but his fake sendsor is well worth it, i took my EGR off for pure cosmetic reasons, there are EGR delete plates on ebay for specific throttle body sizes, for like 30 bucks, thats what i did, or helix power spacer

:joy:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts