Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on my '68 for so long, that I've been away from the Fox Body world and need some advice helping a buddy put together an engine combo. He wants to make the engine a little better and then eventually throw a blower on it. So, we started off by trying to piece together a HCI combo. He didn't want to do a cam swap, so we figured we'd do Edelbrock E-street heads with 1.7 rockers, and a Trick Flow upper with a 75mm TB. We were going to leave the MAF and injectors at 19lbs for now and when we did the blower, we'd upgrade then. But after doing some more reading, it looks like the valve springs are only rated for .550 lift on a flat tappet cam, so I wasn't sure if that meant it wouldn't have enough spring pressure for a stock HO cam with 1.7 rockers. Now I'm thinking of going with this Trick Flow top end kit and convince him to do a cam swap. But looking at the description, it says it needs 24lb injectors and a matching MAF.

So I guess long story longer, here's my questions.
1. Stick with the first plan and do E-streets with a 1.7 rocker or go with the Trick Flow top end kit?
2. Do we need to budget in some sort of ECU tuner or can the stock A9L computer handle what we're looking at throwing at it.

·
Registered
23,945 Posts
even if you just put a bigger throttle body on, you may need a tune, depending on how picky you are about stalling, and surging idle

so to answer 2. you should budget for tuning, not for max power necessarily but for drivability

Reactions: Ed Curtis

·
Old timer
6,024 Posts
Budget?

Twisted Wedge FAC 170
Holley Systemax II

The rest is up to his wallet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just my .02, I think you’ll honestly be disappointed in that combo. I ran the E-Streets years ago. On my 95 it made 282rwhp/322rwtrq; [email protected] 1/8th. That H/C/I combo was the aforementioned heads, Cobra intake, Comp cam and a dyno tune. But for comparison sake my previous combo for that was stock cam and GT-40’s. That made 233rwhp/282rwtrq; [email protected] 1/8th. So the heads, cam and tune did add 50ish horsepower. And YES I did run into issues with the stock E-Street valve springs-think I was one of the first to post about it back in 2010.
Note: I ran 19lb’ers with the E-Streets too.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I bet those 19 lb injectors were maxed out too. I had TFS TW heads, TF street burner intake, mild cam and was using 30 lb injectors and put 284 RWHP on my first combo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That was 10 years ago. I can’t quite remember the duty cycle of the injectors. I had asked the tuner but he didn’t seem too concerned. The fuel pump was a 190lph which may have helped the load a bit.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
19 lb injectors supposedly can support a max of around 310 hp N/A from what I have read.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Just my .02, I think you’ll honestly be disappointed in that combo. I ran the E-Streets years ago. On my 95 it made 282rwhp/322rwtrq; [email protected] 1/8th. That H/C/I combo was the aforementioned heads, Cobra intake, Comp cam and a dyno tune. But for comparison sake my previous combo for that was stock cam and GT-40’s. That made 233rwhp/282rwtrq; [email protected] 1/8th. So the heads, cam and tune did add 50ish horsepower. And YES I did run into issues with the stock E-Street valve springs-think I was one of the first to post about it back in 2010.
Note: I ran 19lb’ers with the E-Streets too.
Wow, something was definitely off..My 90 lx convertible made 220 rwhp and ran 9.00's @ 79 mph. Only mods were 70mm tb, 76mm C&L meter, 3.73 gears , k&n panel filter , shorty headers and a h-pipe..

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, so my buddy decided to go with the Trick Flow top end kit and we'll be running a 70mm TB. Now what I'm trying to sort out is the right size injector. Looking at LMR's injector sizing chart, it looks like we're right at the edge of the 24# mark for a NA motor, being probably safer with 30# inectors. Are we going to be stuck having to bump up to a larger injector with the blower or can we run a bigger injector now and future proof it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow, something was definitely off..My 90 lx convertible made 220 rwhp and ran 9.00's @ 79 mph. Only mods were 70mm tb, 76mm C&L meter, 3.73 gears , k&n panel filter , shorty headers and a h-pipe..
Nah, 3.08’s and Driver mod. Stock with a cat back it ran a [email protected] I was just comparing HP and track gains between the two combos to give an idea of my experiences.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I made 277hp/330tq to the tire with Stock 87 SD (219/212) cam, F/S GT40P heads, Explorer 4-hole EV6 19# injectors that actually flow closer to 21#/hr. Changed cams to a Crower 15511 cam and made 298 whp with the same injectors but they were maxed out.........

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'd lean towards Ed's suggestion and favor the Holley intake over the Trick Flow.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Alright, so my buddy decided to go with the Trick Flow top end kit and we'll be running a 70mm TB. Now what I'm trying to sort out is the right size injector. Looking at LMR's injector sizing chart, it looks like we're right at the edge of the 24# mark for a NA motor, being probably safer with 30# inectors. Are we going to be stuck having to bump up to a larger injector with the blower or can we run a bigger injector now and future proof it?
If you are buying injectors buy the 60lbs injectors and don’t buy them again.

And do what Ed suggested not the Trick Flow kit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts