Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This evening, I was crusing around the town with my friends. A police officer was directing traffic and my car was at a dead stop. A group of 16 year old kids with the music blaring, didnt bother to notice that myself and 15 other cars are at a dead stop and ram into my car at a good 45-50 miles per hour. Luckily There was no one in front of me, I wasnt injured and neither were my friends. We walked away with no injures the cavalier was destroyed big time, engine smashed glass broken etc. My car which is "built ford tough" has only a scratch on the bumper, and one of the exhaust clamps was broken. The police officer saw the entire incident and said the following "you obeyed the law and these idiots had enough time to stop but didnt bother" they were taken away in the ambulance, I hope they are Ok. And the police officer is issuing a citation for innetative driving. The cobra protected me like no other, not even a broken rear windshield, or anything I feel this car has saved my life and I will never buy a different brand of car in my life other than ford. What really pains me is that, I just picked this car up 1 1/2 months ago and now s ome rice popper rams into me. have 2 questions and would very much appreciate your advice

1. Where should I take this to be fixed? The best place I can think of is a ford dealership? Any ideas, I would rather have this idiot go all out and have it fixed right. Or would a local autobody shop be as comparable to a dealership? Should I just insist the car be fixed at a dealer?

And the most important question

2. The cop asked me later if I could move the car to a parking lot, I said im not sure. I started her up, she started fine, everything was great, and then she slowly died. I have expierenced this same thing once before when I ran out of gas, you can put your foot to the floor and the engine has no response. I was told by an auto mechanic that the cobra has a kill switch, which shuts off the fuel (and it only started because it had fuel pressure). How can I turn this device off so it runs?

Any advice on this post would be extremely helpful!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yep, go to the trunk and hit the switch, you will have to use that switch when you change your fuel filter to relieve the pressure in the lines. Hopefully everything turns out good for you and your car, glad everyone is alright. I would take it to a good bodyshop, and not the dealerships bodyshop, unless you know someone there that does great work on cars.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The inertia switch is on the drivers side rear part of the trunk,
next to the tail lamp assembly. SN-95's seem to be pretty tough, I lost control accelerating out of a corner in 3rd gear in Moroso
with cold Victoracers (yes I am an ass-clown for doing that).
and ended up hitting a concrete wall backwards at a decent speed. The impact ended up breaking the factory seat recliner, and popped the passenger side airbag cover loose a bit.
All it took was a push of the fuel pump switch and a bit of a push to get me off the wet and muddy grass and the car was fine to drive home.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Take it to a reputable shop. Ask around at a car show or a local "hang out" spot. Make sure that you get it done at a shop that is well known for their QUALITY work. A dealership is used to putting out paint jobs for little old ladies and people that don't care about door dings, etc.

If you take it to a shop that does a lot of custom jobs/show cars, you will get it done how you want it. Also look for a place that gives a 100% satisfaction guarantee. That is usually a good sign of a quality shop.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
If you know a good outside shop, I would get the car quoted at Ford and then get the insurrance money and go to the outside shop for a little cheaper. I've had a couple of bad dealings with Ford repaints and would rather trust an outside shop that doesn't have 100s of cars a week to where they could take their time and do it correctly.

John

·
Registered
258 Posts
yeah i would definitely ask around about a good B/S and that ass clowns insurance should be payin for the repair if not sue him for everything he's worth to get ur car fixed.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Same exact thing happened to me about a month after I bought mine...15 year old kid without license or permit rearended me as I was sitting to make a left into a shopping center, hit me doing about 35-40mph I'm guessing...He had a Chevy Lumina and the front of his car was pretty much totalled...My car had a bent exhaust tip and bumper cover was scratched and pushed up a little...nothing else wrong with the car...I was really surprised how well it held up...Did about $450 worth of damage and I had mine fixed at a Ford dealer that the kid's mom's insurance company used as a certified body shop...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Don't forget to ask his insurance company for a rental car while yours is in the shop. I worked insurance (years ago) and you are entitled to it. Also, ensure that whoever does the work uses Ford OEM body parts - no aftermarket stuff!! You are also entitled to that.

BTW, make the claim with HIS insurance company, NOT YOURS. If you go to yours, you'll have to pay your deductible and follow their rules for pricing/shops, maybe get no rental car,etc. Get only ONE estimate from the shop you choose; don't give the insurance guys another one to chose from - unless the dealership's is higher, that is.

As has been noted, dealerships are not always the best. Ask the local auto paint supplier for a good shop - they REALLY know the shops. Of course, always double-check with someone else, too. One thing that is most important is that the B/S have a great paint guy - it can make all the difference as long as the sheet metal work is done correctly!!

Good luck - hope it all works out.

Mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would just like to thank all of you for your advice. To keep you updated, I had 2 quotes done today. The first was at a well known shop they told me my car has approximately 9100 in damages. Both of the front seats were broken , the gap between the door and the body of the car was narrowed to about 1/16 of an inch, instead of the normal gap of 1/8 of an inch between the door and the fender. Also all of the sidewalls are smashed, they said something about the floor pan being broken, and the trunk and surrounding apparatius is completely broke. She doesnt look all that bad, but when they said 9100 I couldnt believe my eyes. I hope the insurance will pay and not tell me to junk my car, I love my car! And I looked for a damn year to find a 96-98 lazer red cobra with saddle leather interior and I do not want to give her up! The second quote was from a Ford Dealer, who wanted 6100 dollars to fix it, but he told me it would probably be more money when he tore down the car. I think I will post some pictures to show you the extent of the damage. All of your advice is extremely appreciated! Thank you all!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Golly, sorry to hear the bad news.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear about your car being like that. To be completely honest with you, it might be better just to total it and start fresh. Trying to sell cars with anything on the title is hard if you're trying to get what the car is really worth.

I also have a laser red '96. I'd kill someone if they hit it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Junking the car is not an option, I love my car too much, and plan to keep her for quite some time!

·
Registered
451 Posts
i had a run in recently with a semi truck on the freeway in my cobra. i rear ended this fool jumping lanes and cut in front of me and slammed on his brakes put me into the rear crash bar. only cosmetic damage to the hood, right headlight, bumper, and blinker. took it to a collision center that deals with ford directly. better to replace than to rebuild (i'm an engineer, i know that for a fact." that would be the way i'd go, the dealer won't bother to rebuild anything, they'll just replace. plus got a new style hood on the way, yea yea!!

"The Kahn is die hard like Bruce Willis.";)

·
Registered
194 Posts
just to let u know i also got rear ended at a dead stop and my car is in the shop all messed up. it doesnt sound as bad as yours, but if the shop estimated at 9100 then sorry but your car is totaled. mine is a 96 with 70k miles and the vaule is around 12000. now from what i have gathered from my accident is if the car exceeds 75% of its worth in damage then they total it, at least thats my understanding from what my friend who comes out to do the estimates for the insurance companies said about mine. only way you can hold on to it is if you buy it back from the insurance company. good luck justin

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To keep everyone updated. Today we had another estimate, which was inline with the ford dealership. My car sustained 6100 in damages. And will be fixed within the next 2 weeks! Im so happy that my car will be fixed and not junked!

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Just be careful...My friends 97 was hit in the rear and we were quoted $7000 to fix it....He approved and work began....as they took it apart they found more and more wrong but since the work was started they continued....turns out the car had over $12,000 in damage. It was fixed but was a ***** to align and never drove right again.....Be Careful. Your car is special to you but if it becomes a continued headache you will regret fixing it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts