Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1982 Mercury Capri RS
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's my 2nd foxbody, an 82 Capri RS.
It's sat for the last 10 years in a dudes backyard, I got it started with a gascan and used the ebrake to get it home.

I slowly have been chipping away at the cheap small things here and there. I plan to put as little money as possible into the 302 as I've got a 351w sitting on the engine stand torn down and ready to be built.

So far I've tackled the following
-waterpump
-rebuilt as much of the carb as I could but as you can see, its a lost cause.
-redid the headliner for $18
-installed a new carpet kit after deep cleaning the floors and welding up a hole on the drivers side where the seat mounts.
-spent a solid 2 days with a buffer trying and somewhat succeeding at bringing the paint back around.
-new starter/solenoid/battery/cables

Currently I still need to
-install the fresh windshield glass
-get rods/pistons for the 351
-sound deaden the floors again
-repair the rust hole in the drivers rear quarter panel
-subframe connectors
and the list goes on.

Here's a few pics of the progress so far!
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood
Motor vehicle Vehicle Gas Auto part Car
Wood Font Gas Metal Machine
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Steering wheel Motor vehicle
Hood Motor vehicle Steering wheel Steering part Gas
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Light
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Cloud
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
690 Posts
Oh hells yes!!! Second on the much respect!!! And hats off to ya's for the rescue!!! Keep this going!! We wanna see how the progress goes on this survivor that you've really rescued from the iron ants!! The bones actually look good on it, and you have done an amazing job in that paint, even able to save the stickers!!! Keep up the hard work on that Mercury!!!

· Registered
1982 Mercury Capri RS
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a small update.
2 weeks ago the battery died, and I mean it went stone dead.
I had replaced the battery when I originally picked the car up so I figured it probably wasn't the root cause.
Upon inspection I found that the alternator wiring harness was melted and the alternator was toast so I replaced it with a powermaster one wire from amazon. Still have to ditch the voltage regulator and wiring from the fender well but the powermaster is a huge improvement over stock.
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Car Gas Automotive exterior

I've also began sound deadening the rear hatch area, not wanting to add a ton of weight but at the end of the day its still a street car so I'd like to have a bit of creature comforts.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

· Registered
1982 Mercury Capri RS
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another quick update:

I got the windshield glass installed finally. First time I’ve had a new windshield in any vehicle I’ve owned. Absolutely thrilled to be able to see out of this thing in direct sunlight lol.
Car Sky Vehicle Plant Wheel

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light

· Registered
1982 Mercury Capri RS
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well last week I got a flat. I’d been planning to buy the SVE series 1 wheels and do a proper SN95 spindle swap. I hadn’t quite collected the required parts for the swap yet so I took a shot in the dark and tried the 80s 2wd ranger front rotor swap instead.
The center caps will not fit up front but the hub bore is plenty big and they fit decent. There’s a bit of rubbing from the brake pad backing plate contacting the rotor I’m thinking I should be able to clearance that and it should get me by until I’ve got the rest of the parts for the spindle swap.

Rear tires should show up today, I’ll mount them tomorrow and hopefully have a much better looking/driving car.

here’s a sneak peek of what we’re working with.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

· Registered
1982 Mercury Capri RS
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man those wheels look good, I have 275/35 17 on my 79 with stock 97 gt wheels. The look from the rear is killer compared to what these cars came with stock.
I’d been drooling over them for months, once I got the flat I knew I had to try them.
I’m really happy with the width in the rear, just need to clearance, roll the fenders and lower it now.

· Registered
1982 Mercury Capri RS
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My rear fenders have been rolled since I was in highschool so roughly 2007, I still get rubbing but I have an sn95 rear axle. I have all the 31 spline goodies in the garage just need to change them out.
mine doesnt currently get into the fender, but it rubs like hell on the inside towards the frame if you pull into a driveway at an angle

· Registered
1982 Mercury Capri RS
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally got time to install the MM caster/camber plates and lower the car.
until I have coilovers I’m running around on cut springs. I cut 1.25 coils out of the front and 2.25 out of the rear. Pretty happy with it but I may cut the rear more.
Looking for suggestions on a solid coilover option.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Cloud

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel

Wheel Tire Cloud Car Sky

Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Tire

· Registered
1982 Mercury Capri RS
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another small update, I finally bit the bullet and had the block looked at by our local machinist.
Dude works out of an oversized 2 car garage, barely any room to walk but he’s detailed, super punctual and really straightforward to talk to.
It was decked, bored .030 over new cam bearings and looked over thoroughly. He had to extract a couple broken bolts as well.

I just need to install freeze plugs and paint it, I decided to stick with industrial grey. It’s a truck motor after all.
The freeze plug install seems fairly straightforward. If anyone has any tips or things to watch out for I’d love to hear it.
Liquid Tire Automotive tire Fluid Drink

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Wood Automotive lighting

Coin Money handling Circle Jewellery Currency

· Registered
1982 Mercury Capri RS
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Parts have started rolling in...

I ended up deciding to go to a 393, forged pistons, scat cast crank and truck rods with ARP fasteners.

Pistons/crank I ordered from Mark with Vigilante Performance showed up last night. Look to be a really nice piece. Cam/everything else for the short block just hit my front door this afternoon.

I'm excited to start moving forward with balancing, assembly and getting this thing in the car.
Automotive lighting Nickel Font Metal Auto part

Watch Automotive lighting Analog watch Lens Watch accessory

Watch Nickel Clock Gas Audio equipment

1 - 20 of 21 Posts