Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 98 Cobra is having BBK L/Ts put on right now - guy from the shop just called telling me Sumitt sold me headers for a 96, and that the 96s are different from the 97/98s - some sensor (not the O2 sensor) is in a different place. I called Sumitt to confirm there is only one part and one part # for the 96-98s. This guy is one of the best guys in the Detroit area to install exhaust so I'm a little vexed right now. He said he was going to try to modify this sensor and that he'd get back to me. Has anyone ever heard of this situation with 96 vs. 97/98s?????

·
Registered
577 Posts
Can't help you much, but I go tmine installed on Monday and had no probelms other than the gaskets were from a GT and they had to replace them, that was all! I love mine, just the headers alone make it sound so much better!

But everywhere I see, the headers are for 96-98 Cobras!

I got mine from the GP here!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
They are the same, you have to cut and remove about 4 inches of the front egr tube and re weld.. They dont quite line up...DA Snake Boy!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
duane v said:
They are the same, you have to cut and remove about 4 inches of the front egr tube and re weld.. They dont quite line up...DA Snake Boy!!! [/QU

:lol: I had to do the same thing as above, also the right side rear o2 sensor bung on the bbk h-pipe was in line with the transmission crossmember allowing sensor to hit crossmember. So i called bbk they sent me a new o2 bung to weld onto the h-pipe no problems since.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
96-97 should be the same part. The 98's have a different thread or fitting for the Air Tubes and maybe the EGR tubing. I didn't have to cut or remove any piping for my install.

Long story short, the only "sensor" that should be a "problem" is going to be the length of the STOCK O2 wiring. They will need to be lengthened or you will need to buy longer O2 sensors.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Yep. It is the air pump metal tubing. PITA! get in line with the other 98s who had to do it. Drivers side changed in 98.

Chris

·
Registered
707 Posts
I found it easiest to use high temp silicone hose. Didn't have any stainless wire for the welder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts