Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Griggs k member and I am tring to install a set of BBK 1 3/4 long tube headers and the steering shaft at the rack end hits the header. Does any one have a solution for this?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I found another steering shaft, cut off the upper u joint and welded it into place of where the stock rag joint is and then welded the rack connector that bolts onto the rag joint onto the end and had plenty of clearance

or you can try denting in the header

or buy a flaming river shaft

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
hammer.........nothing is a bolt-on :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
i have the same setup. no problem at all. first you have to removed the steering shaft. installed the header, then put back the shaft, it should have about 3/4 inch clearance. also you can run the flamming river shaft, it has a lot more clearance.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yeh

Use solid motor mounts. Then it wont move around and the old ones are probably wore out anyways, mine was over and inch low when I put the LT headers in, I couldnt even put the headers in until I got the solid motor mounts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys, I think I am going to try a Flaming river steering shaft.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Check your motor mounts. I run factory NEW convertible motor mounts and my BBK 1 3/4's clear the shaft just fine. Don't waste money on the Flaming River shaft if you need motor mounts instead/also.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
i took the wheel off, removed the steering shaft, and stuck a prybar in there and dimpled the header.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but I don't like to dimpled the hot jet coated header lol. try removing the shaft, installed the header, if it still hit, flaming shaft is your only option unless you try to hammer it.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
oh.. didnt see they were jet hotted. yea i agree lol.

i have macs with the super duper RUSTY hts crap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts