Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a shift kit and before I have the guy install it I had a few questions on what I should change. I think Im going to do the Moderate level on all gears but I didnt know how much I should raise the shift point at for the gears? Im also having 4.10's installed at the same time so that will come into play. The car is stock except for the mods in sig.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey might want to do a search on baunmann shift kit. Or even go to page 2 in this room under my name and look at the post I did about the same subject I got a lot of replys and a lot of good advice. I'm doing some of the same things myself in the next couple weeks plus a converter.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
I'd do the 4.10's first and then install the baumann after you drive the car around... because like you said.. you don't know how far to set the shift RPM because it will change once you install the 4.10's... Literally you can have the gears installed.. drive around the block and see where your car shifts @ WOT and then drive it back and tell him how high you want it to shift at.

As far as shift firmness I set mine on Medium for all shifts.. and it is just right... smooth slightly firm shifts when cruising, it will chirp the tires on the 1-2 shift at half throttle and shift very hard @ WOT.... The only thing I regret doing is setting the 3-4 shift on medium and not on soft.. because, let's face it...you really don't need a hard shift into overdrive... not that it is a bad thing but mine sometimes CLUNKS going into overdrive.. quite loud sometimes, and it scares some of my passengers :D

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot it would change with the gears. And thanks for the tip on the 3-4 shift. I need the white 23tooth speedo gear right?

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
This is what I found on Texas Mustangs website

AOD 1983-1998 - 3.27:1(19), 3.55:1(20), 3.73:1(21), 4.10:1(N/A).

:confused:

·
Registered
365 Posts
MYLITTLEHO said:
The only thing I regret doing is setting the 3-4 shift on medium and not on soft.. because, let's face it...you really don't need a hard shift into overdrive... not that it is a bad thing but mine sometimes CLUNKS going into overdrive.. quite loud sometimes, and it scares some of my passengers :D
Isn't the fast shift going into OD good for the OD band since it doesn't let it slip? Besides, every time you give someone a ride for the first time, you can pull the old "Did you feel that? Oh $&%*#, there's no brakes! We're gonna die!" routine when it clunks. :p

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Full Tang said:
Isn't the fast shift going into OD good for the OD band since it doesn't let it slip? Besides, every time you give someone a ride for the first time, you can pull the old "Did you feel that? Oh $&%*#, there's no brakes! We're gonna die!" routine when it clunks. :p
haha maybe i will do that...:lol:

·
Registered
797 Posts
I set the 1-2 n moderate, the 2-3 on hard, and the OD on hard.

Never regretted it one bit.

That crap with the chart and your shift points were so far off it wasn't even funny. The car would almost hit the limiter before shifting. I had to pull it back apart and remove some shims to get it even close....

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Well it doesn't clunk all the time...when you are driving normal it shifts fine... It's just when you wind it out in 3rd and then let off the gas kinda quickly.. like accelerating up to speed quickly and then backing off... or doing 120 on the interstate :idunno: in 3rd and then let off the accelerator.. once the rpm's get down into place it will shift into OD and that's when it clunks :D

·
Registered
365 Posts
Do the hard shifts cause extra traction problems in the rain?

Yeah yeah, I shouldn't be modifying my car if I'm worried about driving in the rain and snow. :)

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Not really unless you are really getting on it in the rain.. which you shouldn't be doing in the first place..

Shift firmness, with the Baumann, is directly proportional to pedal/TV pressure.. you accelerate slow it shifts light.. you accelerate fast it shifts harder and if you gun it, it shifts DAMN HARD!!!!!!

With the Baumann and a lock-up/stock style converter, the only tire spinning shift is the 1-2 shift (more than half throttle it will chirp the tired.. WOT it would spin the tires) while the the 3-4 will firm but no where near able to break the tires loose.

If you have a non lock-up converter it can easily spin/chirp the tires on the 1-2 AND the 2-3 shifts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts