Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a Baumann shift kit into my AOD along with an Edge converter from Andre.

This car will be 95% street driven, 2% drag strip, 2% highway cruising to FLA etc.

I want to be able to have it be fun from light to light on the street, yet be docile enough to enjoy driving it casually when I am not pushing it to the limit to beat a 'vet.

Can anyone tell me how they set up their Baumann kit and how it drives and if they'd do anything different?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
on my wifes AOD car i had 1st shift out at 5200 and 2nd to 3rd at i think 4800-4900, I SHOULD have taken 2nd to 3rd at 5200 and left my 1st to secound rev longer like 5400, the baughman shift kit moves them both up but it does-not even up the diff, if you know what i mean, so to do over i would let 1st to secound over rev a little, and on the firmness i think i went with the mediume setting and it was too hard -untill i put the 2800 NON lockup converter in it and it seem to soften the shifts up to about right

·
Registered
797 Posts
Set the 1-2 shift at level 2. Level three will break your neck. Level two will shift firm but not harsh at part throttle, but chirp the tires at WOT.

Set the 2-3 at level three.

I did it this way and was very pleased with the results.....

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I installed a Bauman kit in my F150 with an AODE. Seems like I went with level 3 across the board. It has a very quick/firm shift w/o being harsh. I'll have to look at the paperwork when I get home. I will add that Bauman as a company is great and I'd use them again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's been so long since I had the car running, I don't recall what RPM the stock tranny shifts at.

Does anyone recall or know?

I would like to increase the shift rpms to match my camshaft and gears etc.

Sounds like level 2 is what I am looking for on the shifting. Crisp firm shifts at part throttle, and chirping on WOT. Very nice.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
if i remember right--- by the stock tack when the trani was stock it shifted from 1st to 2nd at 4800 and 2nd to third at 4500 , so make shure you take 2nd to 3rd to the right point and let 1st to 2nd over rev a little

·
Registered
797 Posts
Just be careful you don't go too far, or you will be pulling the VB to re-do the TV shims........

Mine would barely shift before the car quit pulling altogether.....

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like Medium setting is it for me then.

One question, when increasing the shift RPM, does it always shift at that rpm regardless of engine loading? Or am I only modifying WOT shift points?

I wish I knew what RPM this tranny shifted at before I pulled it out.

I guess I can increase the shift rpm a little based upon guessing, then increase it more if I need to.

I think my cam in the old manual '86 car liked to be shifted best at 5200 or so. Will this change any with a torque converter?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a Baumann kit in my 93 AOD LX. I went with 3, but after driving it for a few weeks I hated it. I went back to Ford and bought a new seperator plate. I did the level 2 and it was the best choice for me. I believe the seperator plate is no longer sold seperate from Ford, so when you drill the holes make sure it's what you want. Otherwise you'll have to get a new valve body to fix your mistakes. I talked to Baumann after I drilled out the holes. They recommend to me for everyday driving to use stage 2.
Hope this helps......

Andy

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will go with the medium setting for now, as was mentioned, I can always pull it and increase it later if needed. This is a 95% street car and I would like it to behave calmly when not at WOT.

At WOT I would like massive performance though!

Thanks guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts