Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to charge my car before heading to work today. It's the second time that's happened.

I have a 1200 watt Crunch USA Drive series amp running in my car, plus whatever my head unit puts out.

My alternator is newly rebuilt to stock specs.

I have a normal car battery, and a 1 farad cap.

My current battery isn't holding up too well, and with the dimming headlights on bass hits, and the bouncing battery guage, I think it's time for a replacement.

I remember reading on here, a long time ago, someone mentioned a kind of car battery that you can get, that is so good, it replaces the need for a cap. I hope to keep my current 1 farad cap, and install one of these batteries (whatever they are) aswell.

Can anybody tell me what kind of battery I am looking for, and where I should go to get it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apocalypse said:
Optima perhapse? And, did you upgrade the big three wires under the hood? It helps a bunch.
I don't know what wires you are talking about. I've got 4 gauge for all of the system power lines.

Also, due to problems I was having with my cap discharging every time I disconnected my (-) battery terminal, to work on the car, I have put a solenoid in the (+) line from the battery to the cap. It automatically disconnects the line every time I turn off the car. So I am confident that the system is not draining anything while the car is off.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
with only 1200w you shouldn't have any charging problems. How many amps is your system capable of pulling?

I would have your alternator checked, it may be time for a high output one.

Batterys to look into are obviously optima, and I have used some hcpower, but only in place of a cap, not to run the vehicle.

·
Registered
411 Posts
alternators are powering the electrical system while the car is on. So, the stock alternator probably needs to be replaced with a h.o. one. Do you have the 130A alternators?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, I think that at this point, I will get an optima battery, and if that doesn't help the situation, I will look into getting a new alt.

So where can I get the best deal on an optima battery?

·
Registered
164 Posts
TCRIMSONK said:
I don't know what wires you are talking about. I've got 4 gauge for all of the system power lines.

He's talking about the Battery ground to the chassis (the wire coming off the - terminal that goes to the body of the car), the power wire from the Alt. to the battery, and the engine block ground to the chassis (pretty sure on that last one, haven't gotten around to doing it myself).

Think of it like water flowing through a big garden hose and then a little hose...no matter how much the bigger hose is capable of flowing, the little hose is the determining factor in what the flow actually is. DC power (like our cars) flows from - to +, so having upgraded grounds is fairly important. I'd try to upgrade at least the battery to chassis ground before buying a new battery. It might at least help some, and if not, it's sure not hurting anything.

·
Registered
23 Posts
autozone now carries optima, or the interstate store if you have one nearby. Expect to drop about 125 to get one!! Well worth the money though. I've had mine for about 2 years and, my alt died. My volt gauge showed I had dropped to 7 volts before the car died and i had to walk. 1 hr on the charger and she was fine!!!!!! By the way I've done this about 4 times and is still works better than any batt. I've ever had before!!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I think Im in the market for a yellow top.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts