Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:eek: Scared the pee outta me! That hydrogen stuff is really powerful! The instant I turned the ignition on I hear this really loud explosion, seemed like it came from under the car until I opened the trunk and all this acid smoke billowed out. Battery looks like someone put an M80 in it because the sides are shreaded out and the top broke off. Nasty acid dripping on the garage floor looking like a wounded Alien was in the area somewhere by the way it bubbled when it hit the floor.

Anyway, cleanup time.

One other thing. I have an area of black soot on the TFI module and distributor cap that seems to have come from the TFI module. Time for a new one I guess?

Thanks

EDIT: See how much it scared me, I couldn't even spell EXPLODED in the title.

·
Registered
431 Posts
lol Thats funny but at the same time that sucks too. Sorry to hear that happened, ever try an optima?

Never really seen soot by a tfi module before. Your probably right you probably need a new one its probably fried, might wanna check the wiring that runs to it make sure its not burnt.

What kind of battery WAS it?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
GreyLX306 said:
Sounds like a 12 gauge eh?

I had one blow up in an underground parking garage........holy crap!! 12 gauge nothing......more like a howitzer, with all the echos....:eek:

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you don't neutralize the H2so4 acid it will continue to do damage for a very long time. Use a basic solution of baking soda and water and scrub the hell outa everything...wires, connectors, everything!

I recently read a technical paper on battery technology. The author was an Engineer for a major battery manufacturer. He described the explosive event as "spontanious dis-assembly"
I thought that was funny.

·
Corral Charter Member
11,141 Posts
so, what caused the battery to explode anyway - or I guess I should ask WHAT causes any battery to explode?

I am assuming it was just a regular acid battery and nothing fancy or aftermarket such as an Optima, etc?

Be careful cleaning up that mess around any painted surfaces as well, the acid will do nasty damage to body panels and such.

Sorry to hear, but I'd like to know what caused the thing to explode before just plunking in another battery, if it were my car...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Mine was a hair-line crack in the case.....and I was jump starting it - spark & gasses=BOOM!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
damn man that sucks.....clean that **** really really realy well, get it all make sure you dont miss any of it ...or your going to be dealing with a good deal of rust some time soon....and trust me you dont want that....

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Hydrogen gas is one of the most flammable chemicals on the periodic chart of elements.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tips on the cleanup. I think there must have been a spark at one of the terminals, not the main battery but the secondary terminals that have accessory wires attached (this is a Kirkland marine type battery). Guess I'll need to check those connections on a regular basis to make sure they are tight.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
John, how well did that 1/8" thick Summit Battery box contain the explosion? Any pics......? I hope it cleans up well, that car is way to nice to get eaten up with acid....

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Battery box held up fine Ron. I do notice some white areas of corrosion on it though. Going to get in there and scrub it up again. Only thing worth a pic at this point is the FUBAR'd battery but it's just junk now.

How are things progressing with your stuff?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I was under the impression that that was why you don't put a regular battery in your trunk. That you need a sealed battery like the Optima that doesn't emit gasses.
Is that Right?
So it was the gasses that exploded like a fuse and then blew up the battery from the inside out?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Well, I hope everything cleans up for you. My stuff is on hold for a few more weeks. We closed on our new house(with 5 car garage(s) last night, so I will be moving and painting and expoxying floors. The car is almost complete, lacking only the MSD wiring and the battery cables. I am glad the batterybox contained the schrapnel though, at lest there are no dented body panels.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
That's a Costco battery, right? Take it back and they might give you a brand new one for free, legal liability and all that. I never heard of any marine battery blowing up.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
If you overheat the battery, hydrogen production happen.
Hydrogen is heavyer than oxygen so it will settle in the bottom of the area it occupies, until its full.
Then it will overflow to fill another area below.
If there is no ventilation, it will stay there.
If you had a hole in the bottom, the hydrogen would have escaped, and no boom.

Makes my think to vent the garage. (or park outside!)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts