Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok my friend was getting in the other day and broke off my handle it WASNT froze or cold, so only the plastic black lever broke off, now i can see what it hooked to like the 2 bars one pointing left and one right...and then in the center are 2 little circles looks like maybe allen wrecnhes, but i only glanced

my ? is.... can i just break the **** compleltley off the car and be able to stick my finger in the door and press or pull something to open in, or can i rig up a tool thatll open it and just hang off of it while i drive.....

its my beater.. so id take the door off and ride winded before i buy a new handle or handle assembly, even junk yards wanna charge 25 bucks! screw it

thanks guys!

89 fox

·
Registered
244 Posts
Well, I don't know if the hole is big enough to reach in there and open it or not. All you have to do is grab the rod push down on it to open the door.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I drove for a year with the push rod sticking out of the hole. it was a quick fix when it broke the day of the race.

·
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
REALLY!!! awesome, see i cant see anything like my assembly didnt break off just the plastic handle part, so like....theres no hole.... its like these two prong things that have something to do with it opening but ive twisted and turned at them and they dont move....

is there a way to pop of the assembly and just like reach down in the door for the push rod?

does anyone have pics lol

·
Registered
269 Posts
You have to take the door panel off and grind the rivet from behind to get the old on off, then you can get to the rod

·
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i got pissed off and tore the panel off and shoved the push rod out the little sqaure hole in my NO HANDLE AREA so now it just looks like i have a coat hanger sticking outta my door, but all you gotta do it push it downwards and wah lah!!!

thanks fellas

·
Registered
269 Posts
It helps to force a small "1/8" or "3/16 socket on the end of the rod for comfort. It still on the rod I took out of mine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My friend broke the door handle off his 89 LX 5.0L and we got a new metal one from the local autoparts store for IIRC around $10.

They come in the red package and are labelled HELP! They are available in black and chrome.

IIRC there are two rivets that hold the factory door handle in. And there is a rod inside the door.

·
Registered
227 Posts
both my 89 and 92 stangs have busted passenger door handles, both broken by my girlfriend, so now i have the open the door for everybody, kinda sucks but not to bad

·
Registered
399 Posts
haha I went through this with my '88 beater. when i got it the pass side was just hanging there...i left it like that for weeks, then i finally ripped it off..when i did that, my side cracked and was very weak, i had to kinda use my thumb to push down supporting it with my other fingers to open it. I then bought a metal kit from 5.0resto for 26bux. "China" on that back of them kind of scared me...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anlushac11 said:
My friend broke the door handle off his 89 LX 5.0L and we got a new metal one from the local autoparts store for IIRC around $10.

They come in the red package and are labelled HELP! They are available in black and chrome.

IIRC there are two rivets that hold the factory door handle in. And there is a rod inside the door.
I think they mean the inside door handle

·
Registered
14,118 Posts
Looks to me it's the outside handle

My god people it's so damn easy to replace the door handle. Don't leave it sitting there like your car is a POS. Get down to Ford and buy em for $40 each.

Remove screw and bezel from inside door handle, remove screw and triangular bit of plastic in the front corner of window, remove 2 screws on speaker grille, remove screw from upper forward corner of inside armrest assembly and 2 lag bolts with 3/8" heads from the side, fold armrest down and slide plastic off 2 electrical couplers, disconnect, remove armrest, pull door panel away from door along the bottom and sides then pick up and remove, peel back plastic vapor barrier, remove door handle rod, remove old door handle, if you don't have a pop riveter then use 1/4" x 1" bolts for new handle. Installation is reverse of removal.

off yer lazy bum and let's move it folks!!! :D

·
Registered
14,118 Posts
Oh yea and to avoid further breakage you should remove and lubricate the latch mechanism at the lower rear of the inside of the door. Quite unpleasant to get all those rods off, but in the end it is worth it when it only takes the slight lift of a finger to pop the door open. If anyone gets into this I'll give ya some tips.

:barf:made in china

·
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok my question now is i have teh handle how do i put it in....i dont see like a whole assembly that you just pop off like most cars...im guessing those 2 rivets pop out and its pretty easy, i dont know why, but would i have to take the door card off? anyone list some simple instructions i would really appreciate it

thanks in advance

jbe

·
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
definatly ray already did ill try to follow those....sounds complecated tho :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
on my last mustang - i bought a *metal* door handle set from one of the popular vendors... i forget who it was - maybe 5.0resto

at any rate - they were only like $20 or something like that - easy to put on - and lasted better than the original handles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts