Ford Mustang Forums banner

bassani catback for 1998 cobra fit 1995 gt ?

709 views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  HairyCanary 
#1 ·
this a complete quiet thunder cat back from a 1998 cobra, will it work on my 95 gt

#2 ·
Most model year 1998 Stangs had a revised rear hanger that is located closer to the bumper than 94-97. You'll have to find the appropriate parts and install them on your '95 to make the cat-back fit.

I'd do it, even though it would be a little extra work. I had a '98 Cobra and I like the revised design -- it makes the tailpipes a lot less likely to droop over time, something which has always kind of annoyed me about the '94-97's.

#3 ·
thanks for the response. i am getting a pretty good deal on this so I am going to do it. What will i need to find, and how much do you think it will cost me. is it an easy thing to change?????????Will i be ableto do this lets say, in my driveway, o is it more work than that

#4 · (Edited)
You'll just need the hangers, and perhaps replacement bushings for them (I haven't put them side by side for comparison, it's possible they use the same one).

I can't tell you off-hand if you'll have to do any drilling to locate them. Close inspection of my '95 reveals that the previous owner already converted it to '98 hangers when he installed the MAC cat-back, so I can't see whether the holes were already there.

If nobody else posts by tomorrow morning, I'll have a look at a friend's stock '95 GT when I get to work in the morning to see whether or not you'll have to drill anything for it.

Edit: Just checked stangparts.com, they don't seem to have any right now. Might try the dealer, or a junk yard. They can't be too expensive in either case. Ironically, Steeda sells hangers to use a '94-97 cat-back on a '98, but not vice-versa.

#6 ·
I should mention that it looks like the '95 may have a different gas tank arrangement than the '98, which could pose other difficulties. This is from research I've been doing for the last few minutes online. I do notice on my '95 that the gas tank has been, well, let's say "enhanced" somewhat to allow for the tailpipes. I just chalked it up to crappy MAC design, but perhaps it's more the result of this being a '98 retrofit cat-back.

So perhaps it isn't entirely trivial, and more research would be a good idea.

#7 ·
well i do not really know where to start to do research, but the kit i have now says it will fit any fox or even up to 2002 it is on www.gefracing which might lead me to believe that any kit is like that but maybe i am wrong, i hope it can work

#8 ·
yellow&blcak95gt said:
ok cool, it would be great if you checked it out for me. also how can you tell that the previous owner of your car has already changed them
The '98 hangers are much farther back, and easily seen without having to get on your hands and knees, and the hanger itself points to the rear, rather than to the side. The earlier hangers are farther forward and can't be seen just by standing behind the car. That's really the trade off, but I'd rather be able to see the hangers a bit than have one of the pipes hanging an inch lower than the other in a few years.

#9 ·
yellow&blcak95gt said:
well i do not really know where to start to do research, but the kit i have now says it will fit any fox or even up to 2002 it is on www.gefracing which might lead me to believe that any kit is like that but maybe i am wrong, i hope it can work
I've seen a couple of kits that claim compatibility all the way from '98 to '01 or later, but I'm skeptical. From what I've seen, for most cat-back systems the '98 is unique -- perhaps Bassani has some proprietary method for making one kit fit everything? Interesting...

#11 ·
i guess i kinda worded that wrong, the kit i have now is not bassani, it is a ford racing part and it claims to fit every fox and sn95, it fits fine on my car but maybe it wont be the same with the bassani

#13 ·
Yeah, FRPP seems to have another similar kit for the 98-current GT's: M52. That's kind of odd that they have a kit that will fit so many different years. They must know something we don't :), or they include adapter hardware with it maybe?

What's funny is that I know that a 98 Cobra cat-back will fit on a 98 GT -- the flowmasters that I bought for my first Cobra were designed for either 2V or 4V 4.6L 1998, and nothin' else. And the fit was great, much better than the MAC on my '95.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.