Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good day, I have a quick question i was not able to find anything on easily or quickly so it is likely a stupid one but i want to be careful and ask. I have a stock 302 with 105xxx miles on it. i'm doing a basic rebuild on it with rings and bearings. when i went to put the rings on the pistons i noticed the ring shapes are different than the stock ones that came off. I'm using hastings moly rings. in the attached picture the stock rings that came off have the shapes of # 3 and 4 while the new replacements have shapes of # 1 and 2. does this matter.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Had same issue on a 2.3. Apparently it doesn't matter as long as the top & second groove receives the top & second rings respectively. They also have to be installed properly (dimple or numbers facing up). 2.3 runs great, well for a 2.3-and I had to use Hastings rings in it rather than the discontinued Speed-Pro/TRW or Motorcraft rings.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.