Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who has a 427 tri-power engine and top loader. He said it came out of a 67 or 68 Mustang, but I could not get all the block numbers. It has a 427 bird on the valve covers and looks like Ford manifold with three two barrels. Alternator through transmission attached.

The block starts with a C4A number.

It has a freeze plug missing, but rolls over with a wrench on the crank.

I don't have any idea what it is worth or if it is good. It came out of a Mustang that someone drag raced. The car was all rusted out from sitting so they cut the motor out and scrapped the car. The original owner is dead for about 8-10 years, so it has been sitting at least that long.

Any ideas if this is just old junk or worth dickering for??

About 30 years ago I bough a garage full of boss 302 parts and engines. This is very unlikely to be a real sweet deal like that was. LOL I made my entire investment back just on one block back then.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Tom,it's Roger that was up a few weeks ago :)Sounds like an early Galaxie/Fairlane motor..but who knows,without casting #'s off the block,heads,and intake. Heck,it could be a 352/360/390/406/410/427/428..with a 3 deuce intake & "427"valve covers. Does it have any "R" numbers on any of the parts,is the intake aluminum,factory cast iron "headers",cross-bolted(obvious from just above oil pan rail)4-bolt mains,or other obvious hi-po parts? If you'd shoot me some pics,I could probably help I.d. what you have..My dad is VERY familiar with FE's. IF,the bottom end is junk...I'd LOVE to have that intake & valve covers for shop art,or maybe a future project/rat rod!! I'll text you,so you can send me a few pics, or let me know. Roger

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Rodger,

The block number is C4AE 6015-A.

I'm fairly certain the engine is all original and a 427. He says it has cross bolt mains.

Tom

·
Indo-Canuck-Yankee
2,737 Posts
Sleepr71 is right, that engine is likely from a Fairlane, Galaxy, or some other full size car from the early-mid 60s. FE engines are worth a fair bit to the right crowd, mainly nostalgia, if reselling the engine is in your plans.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Is it a 427 top oiler or side oiler?

427 came with both with the side oiler being more rare and better engine.

427 FE was a powerful engine,so many different cylinder heads.
Then the incredible 427 SOHC.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Hey Rodger,

The block number is C4AE 6015-A.

I'm fairly certain the engine is all original and a 427. He says it has cross bolt mains.

Tom
Well it is starting to look like a 427, though the 406 came with them for awhile and the bosses were cast into the 390 blocks with them back then and could be made to accept the 427 cross bolt setup. A block part number would help the most.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts