Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had probelms getting the parking brake cable to pull out long enough to connect to the +1 kit ??? I have removed all tie dowms and pulled it as long as possible and it is still too short??? Any suggestions???
Thanks
Buzz

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I figured out another way.... by reversing the Baer supplied brackets the caliper is now below the old location and the brake cables fit perfectly... slight bending of the brake line to clear the shock is required but it works and lines up perfectly. I don't know why Baer has them mounted so they are higher which makes installing the parking brake cable impossible. Other than looks I can't see any difference... any thoughts?
Buzz

·
Registered
33 Posts
I did two things with mine this afternoon.

I pulled a bit of extra slack down/out of the body to pick up another inch or so -- that was enough to get the left cable back in.

On the right, I pull out the slack, but that wasn't enough. I then loosened the bracket that holds the parking brake cable to the LCA, pulled the cable up far enough to reinstall the e-clip, then reinstalled the LCA bracket. It's a bit tight, but seems ok.

It would be interesting to hear Baer's take on the lower mounting idea --sounds like a good approach it there's no technical reason to not do it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally got it back together... I did have to trim the metal ends on the parking brake cables as they interferred with the lower mounting bolt. I just trimmed around it with a hack saw and took about 3/8 off the lengh of the metal casing... this only took about 10 min a side and all went back together fine. I would rather have them mounted high as the directions show but there was no way I could get enough cable for it to work. I really looked at it for some time and the only thing I can see is that the interference with the lower bolt and having to slightly bend the brake cables I guess they feel this is a PITA compared to just pulling on the cable a bit.... assuming you can get enough slack. Maybe on the older cars there is a difference in the cable length. BTW those drilled slotted rotors make a bit of noise as the brakes are applied. I wonder if this will go away as the pads seat in... we'll see.
Buzz

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes... the supplied Baer brackets bolt to the original caliper locations and then the old calipers bolt to them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just kept pulling on the brake cable until it reached, use a little leverage. For those who have this kit installed, do you get some noise (not squeel) when applying the brakes now?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Buzz Brischler said:
BTW those drilled slotted rotors make a bit of noise as the brakes are applied. I wonder if this will go away as the pads seat in... we'll see.
Buzz
Yeah, that's the noise I'm talking about too. I've had mine in for a few thousand miles now, it has not gone away.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Mine have more noise as well, and that cable was a bitch. I have no idea how I managed to get the cable back on! Does anyone make longer cables.

Also, I think my new pads were rubbing, but appear to have stopped after a couple of hundred miles. Was that normal?

And WTF did the kit have 10 washer for????? I only used 4?

This was my first time doing this. Last one too.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Wonderful! Driving home from work tonight, I hear a clicking/scaping sound from the rear. Pull over, and my left rear caliper is smoking!

Guess it was rubbing. Now it goes to Sarasota Ford. I am so screwed tomorrow driving this thing to the shop.

What the hell did I do wrong?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine makes a sort of clicking noise from both wheels when the brakes are applied... I am assuming this is the sound caused by the slots against the Hawk Pads. Kind of annoying but we'll see if it lessens over time. The drilled Autospecialty 13"Rotors and PBR dual piston calipers I have in the front don't make any noise so I am assuming it must be the slots and the harder Hawk Pads. I spoke with Baer today and they said installing the brackets and calipers the way I did was fine... looking at a pic of a GT on their website http://www.baer.com/Media/ContentDetails.aspx?ContentID=163
I can see that the rear caliper on the car in the photo is in the identical position as mine so I guess he must have installed them the way I did or there 13" kit for the rear that puts them in a similar position. It almost seems as if they designed it to go in lower as the cables don't have to be yanked out of the car to fit but the other fitment issues; trimming the cable ends for interference with the lower bolts and bending the brake lines to clear the shocks may be more of a PITA than yanking on the cables. I think they should advise customers of both options in the event the cables are not long enough, as they were in my case.
Buzz

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was planning on buyong those rotors tomorrow to match my baer track kit front but i hear you guys saying they are noisy. My front i notied are a little(barely) noisy. I wonder if it is the same sound. kind of a "change in pavement" sound is the best i can describe it.I s this the same noise?

·
Registered
64 Posts
My front 13" Eradispeeds don't make any noise. My feeling is that it's the drilled part that is causing the sound because the rotors are not vented like the fronts. I think it's the air being released from inside the holes when the rotors get heated up, mine barely make a sound when they're cold.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Car is fixed. Turned out the E-clip went bye-bye, causing my parking brake cable to pull out of its housing, causing the brake to drag on the caliper on the left.

Sarasota Ford fixed it. Now everything works.

I am a computer person. I not do this again!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.