Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to start working on my block, go ahead and do things like disassemble and notch the block. What can I do to clean it up? I'll get it hot tanked at the machine shop, but what can I do at home, like to clean up before cutting the notches and afterward to clean out all the shavings? Degreaser and the hose would do the job, but will that cause rust? What do you guys use?

·
Registered
208 Posts
we used engine degreaser on our block to clean it up when we had it refreshed this year and worked great.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i'll certainly dry it afterwards and won't let it sit without oiling it again. I guess the first thing that would rust would be the cylinders, which wouldn't matter since I'll be getting them bored anyway. Thanks,

Billy

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
If you are getting it bored, I would just let the machine shop clean it. They will get it alot cleaner than you would, besides when you get it back you will have to do the same thing(wash it) all over again. Go ahead and notch, then just take it to the machine shop. No need in washing it when you are gonna have to wash it again. Just some helpful advise, I think.

Good Luck, Greg(XSR)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Billy:

I would use Brake Cleaner. It will remove grease, oil, paint etc. It does a great job. I have found that the store brand (O'Reilly's) works as well as the name brands at 2/3 of the price.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
There is no substitution for getting the block vatted, The caustic will eat all non ferous metals that simple brake clean will leave behind.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know the hot tank will do better, I just want something to clean it up enough for me to be able to mark on the metal and see what I'm doing. Thanks for the help.

Billy

·
Registered
751 Posts
i used dawn dish soap an a small wire brush for the outside...worked great..i just pour the soap on and scrubed and wiped off with a towel...i rinsed teh block all together at the end

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
my dad did this years ago to a 350 block. He used a 5h1tload of brake clean, then rinsed it off really good with a hose right in the driveway. Thing ran fine when he put it back in.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Well in that case a bucket of warm water and a box of Tide will do better than most.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts