Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I made the correct decision and passed on on the Greg Welds - will figure wheels and tires out After i have the rear axles and brakes in hand.

I went down south a bit to use a buddy's shop to resolve the TPMS issues in my wife's Jeep - break the bead on 10 tires, remove the sensors from her stock wheels put in the 2018 model stock wheels and then reseat and balance all the tires... It was 101 when I walked in the shop, was a long afternoon but wife is happy now.

While down there I found an 83 rear bumper with NO Waves - has a small puncture on it but will take my time and redo it properly. That's not the biggest score, while there I asked the guy if he had any other 83 year specific parts, so for $40 I got all of this:

Entire center console INCLUDING THE ELECTRONIC READOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ebrake shield for the console in perfect shape, some front kick panels, and two Complete LX taillights.

I'm stoked!

The Flowmaster FX 3" mufflers will arrive on the 12th, the V-Bands on the 11th, and the goal is to have the car in the garage and in pieces by that time waiting for my install of the parts that I have collected in the evenings when it's not so hot.

Pic's of the score:) Got a new phone and the new camera is Awesome - so will have some good pic's to add in the future:)

current pic of the engine bay with the new filter setup - Remember goal is to get it running what it should be running in the 1/4 and able to drive to the track and back, not looks in the engine bay for now. I will get to a point where I pull the assembly, clean up the firewall and probably Scott Drake panels etc. For now going fast is job 1, could care less about the ratty wires as well as will get a new harness of some sort eventually as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Mufflers and band clamps showed up! Going to give these Flowmaater FX 3" a try, funny thought was first pair of Flows I have ever bought and I have owned 7 Stangs prior to this one! Favorite exhaust I ever bought was the old butterfly FR500 setup so hope these work out pretty good. Hoping to start working on it somethis weekend.

Far reaching future thought here but what are everyone's thoughts on Tube front half from shock towers forward? I ask as my radiator support is busted up, have rust on FRAME RAILS I will address as well. Would end up fabbing my own sheet metal fender liners and if course wire tuck and clean up the rest if the engine bay but wanted to get everyone's thoughts? I'm leaning that way on the future...

For now battle boxes, tank and fuel routing issues, tuning on carb, and addressing the thousands of little issues!

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Some progress today!

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Limited pics just door alignment and locks, couldn't do door handles as pop rivet gun was broken. Rear is prepped for torque box work and welding. Lovd that I can lock the car now! That rear lock was a bitch!

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well did it now:)

Sold an extra power Wheels that I had converted to 24v and did some tweaks too as it was too fast for my daughter... Went on eBay to take a look this morning and Boom found the Last set of 3" stainless tailpipes for 239 with shipping - said F it and bought them.

With some other funds I had in Paypal from selling other items - instead of paying on my credit card, I said F it and ordered a 20ft 8AN PTFE hose kit - comes with 2x180's, 2x90's, 2x45's, and 4 straight 8AN fittings. It is the PTFE, Stainless, with Black Nylon and Black fittings. Quick math tells me I MAY need a few more connectors and will not be using the 180's so may sell them to buy some of the others I need. I have 6AN return already so will ensure any rubber lines I have are good and eventually just replace the 6AN return lines that are not hard lines with PTFE 6AN but will measure and ensure before I spend anymore money.

Also ordered 36 sqft of 80mm Butyl Sound Deadener the Kilmat Brand that I run in my daily Civic Si. After I install and weld in the Torque Box re-enforcement will ensure all rust and metal is cleaned up and prepped then do every square inch in the back with the sound deadner, then later fab up a rear seat delete. Have enough to the the entire rear area, up to the quarter windows - all of the rear seat area, and all of the trunk area. Whatever I have left - I still have some from my Civic install, I'll put on the roof as will be removing the headliner to see what I can do with the roll bar to ensure it's safe, and then will paint it as well and while carpet is out and messing with that - will patch/fill any holes, or area's that have rust or holes from where the plates were welded into the

Took a return back to Harbor Freight and picked up the "LMR" 40 dollar Pittsburgh branded in their pictures big pop rivet gun for 17 bucks:)

Will do door handles this evening probably and if I have time get the inner and outer window guides in, and install the rest of the window stuff I have on whichever window needs it the most, then order up the rest.

The exhaust tailpipes were too far gone and I really did not want to run dumps, when I weld the new flows and V-bands in I want to be DONE with exhaust for a while - will weld in another o2 bung while have the exhaust out as well as intend to do Fuel Injection eventually so will weld it in now - so I am really done with the exhaust:) The exhaust from the Pro-chamber back is all going to be Stainless now and full 3" all the way so will be done, just hope i like the sound of the new Flowmaster FX in 3"....

I'm Excited - parts that are being purchased for a while are on the way, or in the garage. The 5 lug swap will wait till the fall now - the delimma there is go with the Dual piston 99+ PBR Calipers and 11" or do the 13" front brakes - and the issue there is running the 15x4 or 17x4 front, I prefer the look of the 17" but am not sold on that yet.... The Dual piston and disk all the way around will help immensely and planning on just doing the Master cyl when i do it not the booster as I have the catch can in and will leave it.... Thoughts on the 15 vs 17" fronts?

Before next track day I have alot to do but confident can get it all done in a couple of Evenings and a weekend worth of work... I will get 5 point harnesses - an out of spec for the passenger side and may buy out of spec and send in for the drivers side, or just get a new one, and would like to sell the adjustable back seats and get some fixed point ones - maybe a cheap plastic one for passenger side with cover that would match a Kirkey for the Drivers side... Harnesses will be in at minimum though!

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
All items ordered have arrived, thinking with my old I take selling on Ebay, I will pick up a sandblaster setup before I do the battle boxes, a cheap 19 dollar spray gun for the compressor I got recently, and some por15 to spray on the back underside if the car as well as some sheet metal for any repairs I need to do while under the car. Figure do it once and get it completely stripped and refinished while resolving and beefing up the rear!

Want the sandblaster for the mentioned floorplan issues as well, as want to ensure I get all of it and will probably por15 the inside of the rear seat and trunk area as well! Can't wait to get started!!! I also have 10 lbs of good wire right now as I was planning on doing alot on those old tailpipes, will sell my long stainless tios I bought, and weld the v-bands and tailpipes in so wont require as much wire fir what I'm planning now:)

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Finally finished up my 2nd Master's degree this past Friday night - Thesis and some work requirements had all my attention, as well as a trip to Bonneville Salt Flats and Salt Lake City. It's all done, phew! So Sunday spent a few hours and got the windows finished - well the passenger side window is still moving so will tear the door panel off and resolve that issue - then will get a tint job done to help keep the temp down and well for the looks as well!

Took dash out, wired up the Air Fuel Guage with power etc, replaced dash lights - still not working damnit.... Got my Trans Temp guage working, fuel guage, oil pressure are workign, but my damn temp guage now doesn't work....

Took for a spin to see what A/F is - Wow, anything above around 5k and it goes from a nice 12.8 to 15.1 - 1 - got out of it, tried again same thing!

So happy I didn't go back to the track and passed till I could get the guage on!

So - now to do all the work that's necessary before I head back, and install the parts I have built up!

-Battle boxes - welding them in - will also weld the stock welds in better around this area then epoxy and seal up etc.
-Metco Upper and Lower Control arms in and adjust pinion angle to 2 degree's while resting on ground
-Looked and will have to order upper axle bushings - probably will go metal but need to look first, may just do poly as I believe my uppers are all metal so want a flex point somewhere in there...
-Drop Fuel tank and clean, have around 3 gallons in it now
-Mount fuel pump and filter setup lower
-New 8AN fuel lines for supply, reusing the 6an return that is in place, but will plumb it in differently to the tank and seal off the second port on rear of the sump...
-Wiring - will be adding a relay to the Fuel pump, making a switched power supply block weather sealed and under the hood, will run fuel pump and all guages off of that, also have to do something with the E-fan wiring...
-Have 70 sq feet of sound deadener so will be pulling carpet and addressing rust and lack of rubber where necessary to limit the leaks - read as get rid of them.
-Address the Brakes - want to just fix the current brakes but if they are bad will sell a kidney to go ahead and do the 9" housings, 31 or 33 spline and possibly a full spool... Taht will pretty much mean i don't get back to the track this year though hence me wanting to wait on brakes, but they are bad enough won't go back on them as is, the good thing is means I don't mind dropping the rear axle completely to do the bushings and clean it up right now, and give room for the BB's and other crap back there.
-Weld in V-bands
-Install new Stainless 3" Mufflers
-Install new Stainless 3" tailpipes
-Adjust front suspension and see if I can find my old unused Steeda bump steer kit and install it.
-Dial in Electric fan setup - may remove and sell and replace with a dual contour setup....
-Install Center console and fab the top plate for the B&M shifter I have in there - have all the parts but need to cut the metal top piece as was designed for 87-93 console
-Figure out how to Aim the headlights, all 4 are pointing different directions...
-Figure out a stalk for my blinkers and brights, can't find one so will find something and tack weld it on the stalk I think... Just has the little stud sticking out and is hard to use as is - plan on driving to and from work to dial in on race days.
-Install Line Lock
Tune the Carb - will get close with Vaccum guage, then fine tune with the A/F guage but it's WAY off currently, and not putting time in tuning it until I have the new fuel setup in as well as the exhaust complete...

Items to Buy before I head back to track:
At least a drivers side 5 point harness

Items on short list to purchase as I can:
-Quick release steering wheel setup
-Possible seats - If buy Poly seats that I can mount to roll bar, can happen quickly but Kirkeys......
-Rear axle items - Disk brake setup, 31 or 33 spline setup, anti-moans, proper mounts for disk brakes
-Front brakes for the SN95 spindles I have
-Master cylinder and possibly brake booster...
-Guage cluster that works - probably make my own Florida50 style but need to start sourcing guages, in my stock cluster only the speedo works right now... Sunpro 3 guage is what I use along with the huge tac and A/F guage.

Items that will be done while working on other items:
-Use the Black trim SEM paint I have;) All stainless mouldings will be the satin black, but they are in horrible shape so will be time consuming, mirrors, grill, and bumper trim will be done at the same time...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just SCORED! Cobra front brakes with new Slotted EBC rotors, and EBC pads, Rear Cobra Brakes with the same EBC setup with regular brackets, and 9" ends brackets....

Picking them up before the end of the week, this weekend will start tearing into the car to get more stuff done!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Lowers done

Also had decided was cutting rear spings but once got them off they had 2 spacers inside them so will install without the spacers and see where it sits. On to the more difficult uppers in the next few evenings.

Will drop tank before that step and pull out the fuel line, leaving return in place and reusing as its 6an and should be fine for my carb setup.

Used my 6013 stick at first but wasn't working out so the modified flux came out, some were perfect others burnt through even on low. Realized I didnt have my damn copper Spoon! Picking up a new one today and will NOT weld on the sheetmetal without it backing from here on out. I also did not clean up the welding points enough and could tell big time on the welds. Went like butter where properly prepped was a bitch, splatter and burn through where half assed it. It was raining and phone got wet so didnt take a ton of pics. This one poc is just after tack and you can see the burn through in two places, dont worry closed those up.

Passenger side is done, drivers side I have to weld underneath still, and getting a small sand blaster for the prep going forward. I think spoon and better prep will make the difference! Hoping removing those spacers will get it lower in the rear. Going to go ahead and roll fenders now as wellbut will blast and seal underside prior to heat and folding over. Lots more to go but progress was made! Prochamber back exhaust completely removed, tank is drained as well. Few more nights and weekends then csn start tuning the carb and hit the track!

Will be rewiring dash completely before then as well, have to get some etch primer today as well!

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Lower battle boxes are cake, uppers while on the ground, not so much... My trusty old Craftsman drill finally gave up the ghost... Can't go any further until I get a new drill:( Got one one additional bolt in and pilot hole drilled for the other before the drill died. After that copper spoon and welder to finish welding it all in and then paint, seal, and throw the sound deadening over the back seat area, then on to the next item. Ordered up my weld on quick release steering hub, and scored a 5 point harness that will end up being my passenger one in the near future but will get mounted for the next year until it goes out of spec. Picked up a new drill as well, so in the evening will be finishing up the torque boxes - only welding I did was the drivers side lower underneath and then sealed it - will be welding the remainder with the copper spoon hopefully in the evenings this upcoming week as well!

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Picked up my brakes!

Cobras front and rear, 9" big outer axle brackets - not using until I get axle built, stock rear brake calipers will be using with the cobra rear calipers and sn95 axle hangers just have to pick some up from jyard. Will more than likely Install this weekend due to him Including the stainless lines which I did NOT know he was doing! Stoked, didnt rush him on pickup and will be installing with the proportion valve setup, and just the stock master and booster for now. Will also be installing the line lock, will be going master and manual brakes and probably replacing all hard lines on the future, but will try as is as anything g will be an improvement over what I have now!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
With those big front calipers and teany tiny master cylinder, I don't think you're going to like the brakes. Het a master for a 96 3.8 stang, max motorsports 3 to 2 mc conversion line set, their plug for gutting metering block, and a cheap adj prop valve or you will still be hating your brakes. I tried the same thing and learned the hard way.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Using this as a placeholder essentially, I live in Melbourne Fl, and due to the Hurricane had to throw the car back together to get it movable, as it was on Jack Stands. It got stored in the garage for the hurricane and wife, youngest and I went to Orlando. Anyway, got the battle boxes completed - didn't get to weld all of them but back together, then got the car running and drove it a bit. Man - sounds great, frustrated that didn't get to finish everything I wanted to, but happy with the progress and want to get back to track soon!

Alright - editing in a few pics from after put together I will be taking a full coil off the rear springs, but glad I put them back in before cutting them. Really don't notice much of a drop from removing the 2 spacers a piece that were in the rear springs. I can say that my rear shocks are pretty much worthless. I want more squat in the rear to maximize the angles on the upper control arms and get the correct pinion angle, with the goal being the rear lower control arms being flat. Then will weld in the tailpipes as that's where I will need the clearance to be.

Expect the rear springs to be cut, the pinion angle adjusted, and at minimum the mufflers welded in place this weekend. Tailpipes may wait as want them to be perfect when they get put in. I will address some of the wiring and power issues for gauges, and my dash lights so will be able to drive and monitor while going to and from the track. Also hope to weld on my removable steering wheel quick detach as well as put my drivers side harness in. Then will be ready to rock and roll, at least to tune the carb anyway...

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Got some work done, Exhaust is complete - 1 3/4 long tubes of unknown brand to 3" custom pro-chamber, to homemade 3" flowtubes and 3" Flowmaster FX mufflers to 3" tailpipes. The tailpipes are just tack welded in place at this point as want to cut and fit better. But no leaks:)

Cut one coil out of the rear unknown brand springs and it sit's perfect but realized my drivers side is over a good 1.5 to 2" so will be getting under car and adjusting pinion angle as sell as the left to right with the upper control arms, and will go ahead and install the sperical bushings in top of the axle at the same time.

Tune is even further off now but idle is sit at 1k, which is around 850 when in gear.

Next items are:
Rear
Install upper spherical bushings in axle
Adjust rear axle alignment
Finalize pinion angle now that happy with rear config
Adjust drum brakes for now
Relocate fuel pump and clean filter setup
Roll fenders - have some contact on drivers side - will center axle, but also will roll fenders at this point as well

Inside
Weld in quick release steering wheel
install 5 point harnesses
Wire in common power/ground/relay setup I have for gauges and fuel pump etc

Engine
Vacuum adjust idle air and set properly idle
Use Vacuum and A/F to dial in part throttle and full throttle on the carb
Install Line Lock and proportioning valve

How she sounds with the Flowmaster FX mufflers:

Go Race - with full contingency of tools especially carb stuff:)

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I do not like your 'jack stands', wood is not safe for that much weight with the load angles. Should have made the base larger in size.
Cant' disagree, these are 15" x 11" and were for my front tires... Ran out of wood as this was "left overs" will be doing the rears in 15"x16".

The goal is to get it high enough to drop the tranny if necessary, but wanted to have load on the rear tires to tack weld the exhaust in place for fitment issues. It wasn't' ideal, but it worked for the 4-5 hours it was up...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Haven't had a good rain in weeks - but had the moisture, I have already fixed the windows, and had used urethane/window weld on the rear window as needed. Still had the moisture, and saw rust under carpet as well as the improper insulation materials so pulled the carpet last night...

Found the issue:)

Oh - quick release wheel is on - have to tweak a few things before happy with it. Dash is coming out clmpletely so I can do some rewiring and fix some major ground issues. Trying for track this month - feels further away now and car is running great. Also grabbed some southside lower control arms - as in the original badass ones from the 90's. I did the torque boxes so not afraid, will more than likely be blasing the entire floorpan to ensure my welding/patch work is done correctly. Alot to get done, thankfuly temperature is getting bearable in Florida:)

21 - 40 of 55 Posts