Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my previous best was a 13.78 at 97.5. Last night was a good night as it was only 43 degrees out. Only change was remove rear wing and front seat. I made 8 runs total. My result were fairly consistant for a change.

60ft 1/8 1/4 mph

1.76 8.87 13.93 98.5 missed 3rd and tailwind
1.82 8.73 13.71 99.5 bogged at 4500 and t/w
1.82 8.77 13.76 99.0 " " "
1.86 8.77 13.75 99.2 " " "

I was frustrated with my launch. I was bogging awful dumping the clutch at 4500rpm. My posi is shot and was not spinning my M/T 8.5 but one wheel half the time in the burnout box. I was affraid to dump it any higher. That and I think I was shifting too late off from my shift light (5000rpm). That and my powershifts seemed slow. So I regrouped for a half hour. Decided to slip the clutch at 4500 rpm and concentrate more. Results paid off.

1.843 8.71 13.71 98.7 no tailwind 4500 slip of clutch
1.82 8.69 13.68 98.7 no t/w 5000 clutch dump
1.79 8.63 13.63 98.6 no t/w " "
Last run aborted as the rearend died and made awful noises!!!!

So my results were good, not great, but good. The car and driver have more left in it. What irritates me is the first run when I missed 3rd. It was my best 60ft time by 3 hundredths. Hopefully a new posi will allow me a more consistant launch. I never had the problem with the track bitting so hard the car would bog.

****** Hints that worked for me. Removing the rear wing was worth 1mph for me consistantly. I don't think it helped my ET at all. Also shifting any higher than 5000rpm hurt ET. with my mods.

Mods: 94GT 5spd, shorties , o/r H, al. D/S, Cold air intake, Pullies, Roller rockers, 3.73s, M/T slicks 8.5, timing 14degrees.

I hope to try a short belt next time up to the track after the rearend rebuild. Thanks to all for your suggestions here. The Corral has gotten me this far. Any other hints would be great.
Chris

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Nice times for just gears/slicks/exhaust. I assume the slicks are 26"? I would guess 410's would benifit you more at the track. What happened to the rear? I used to have that 1 wheel peel and the new ford rear end clutch kit helped out a lot on the track. Whats the weight of the car w/ you in it?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I was thinking 4.10s also. But I'm building up a 347 this winter and was worried it would be overkill. But yes, 4.10s would really help. I don't know the weight of my car. I'm 200lbs and my car is stock with A/C, with wing, rear speakers and amps, spare/jack, strut tower bar, front seat all removed. My guess is that it would weigh in at around 3550-3600. I need to lose 40lbs.

I was considering the rear end rebuild, but can't find anyone to do it other than Ford and I refuse to let those idiots touch my car again. So, I was going to go Auburn Pro and 31 spline axles. Someone at the track mentioned there are 3.90s available now for the 8.8. I need to make a decession soon though and get that slipping rear rebuilt. Thanks, Chris.

·
Registered
940 Posts
killer times man
guys like you give our cars a good name :) most people with those mods are running mid 14's

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
5ptslow, Thanks!!! I'm trying to get the most out of what I have before dumping money in it.

Actually i wish I had your times. What do you have for mods?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Don't worry about more gear until you get a better intake. I used to believe the stock one was good for 300hp and it wasn't worth it on the stock heads. Now I have the Cobra on and it flat out rocks! I think you would see more benifit with it for the same or less money than moving from 3.73 to 4.10

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input Evil Ash. The intake is in my recipe for more horsepower. I think I will stay with the 3.73s for now. I'm changing over to a stroker motor and think the 4.10s will be overkill for me. Boy, I can't wait to have some real power to run at the strip. :D

·
Registered
519 Posts
Wow...I do have to thank you for now I know what my car would do if I actually got traction at the line and launched hard :) It seems like my trap speeds are pretty close to yours.

My next step is Nitto DR's so hopefully that'll help some, but they're still no MT's.

·
Registered
628 Posts
CGJARVIS said:
Well, I was thinking 4.10s also. But I'm building up a 347 this winter and was worried it would be overkill. But yes, 4.10s would really help. I don't know the weight of my car. I'm 200lbs and my car is stock with A/C, with wing, rear speakers and amps, spare/jack, strut tower bar, front seat all removed. My guess is that it would weigh in at around 3550-3600. I need to lose 40lbs.

I was considering the rear end rebuild, but can't find anyone to do it other than Ford and I refuse to let those idiots touch my car again. So, I was going to go Auburn Pro and 31 spline axles. Someone at the track mentioned there are 3.90s available now for the 8.8. I need to make a decession soon though and get that slipping rear rebuilt. Thanks, Chris.
Get some aluminum heads and new intake and that should shave off 40-50lbs.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
94DreamGt,
Your car with the intake and throttlebody should be even quicker. Drag radials will sure help. Lower that 60ft to a 1.7is and you will see a 13.4 or 13.5 no problem. Good luck!!

Green 94Drop,

Yeah, I can't wait to get my AFR185s on. That should drop some weight right off the front. That and if I join weight watchers:D
I would shead some 70lbs. of the car and me.

Big mods for 2002 WEIGHT WATCHERS!!!!!! LMAO !!!!!!!

·
Registered
940 Posts
hey bro, i used to be proud of my times for my mods, but now i'm totally ashamed! lol :eek:

i have cobra intake, crane 2031 cam, roller rockers, full exhaust w/ cats, 3.73's, fms extender and nittos.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey 5ptslow,

With your mph you should be able to get a low 13 out of your car with a lower 60ft. Its amazing how fast your car is with just an intake and cam ahead of mine. Score some slicks man. Good luck.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts