Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after spending some time with my 66 mustang I have decided that my true love is the 4.6 modular, and my 2000 gt.

The 66 will be put in indefinate storage and the 2000 will be the recipient of my attention..

Now.. what did I miss in the last 6 months?

New cams? Heads? Buuhhhhaahhaa www!!!!! :evilgrin:

·
Registered
523 Posts
well calling that the darkside isnt really true, classic stangs are awesome too!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Im having trouble understanding why the 4.6 is so popular. Ive never owned one but a friend had a 98. It was a ragtop with an AOD. Everything seemed alot more expensive for it than my 95. The engine bay seemed like horrible place to work. It took him about 7-8 hours to put headers on. Ive heard they are weaker in the bottom end than the 5.0 and cant take the boost like a 5.0 can. I cracked a piston with 17lbs on my stock motor but didnt damage anything else. I love the new bodystyle and everything but I like to do my own work on my mustang and just cant see myself rebuilding a mod motor. No flame intended guys, I just come here to catch up on whats going on with the modular mustangs.

·
Registered
684 Posts
palemarry said:
Im having trouble understanding why the 4.6 is so popular. Ive never owned one but a friend had a 98. It was a ragtop with an AOD. Everything seemed alot more expensive for it than my 95. The engine bay seemed like horrible place to work. It took him about 7-8 hours to put headers on. Ive heard they are weaker in the bottom end than the 5.0 and cant take the boost like a 5.0 can. I cracked a piston with 17lbs on my stock motor but didnt damage anything else. I love the new bodystyle and everything but I like to do my own work on my mustang and just cant see myself rebuilding a mod motor. No flame intended guys, I just come here to catch up on whats going on with the modular mustangs.
No offense, but, there are GT's going faster than you on the stock motor, N/A. Add 14lbs. of boost to them and you will see why Mod Motors are popular. Hell, I got over a second on you with my N/A stock motor Cobra.

The prices are coming down and there are more and more parts being developed. Give it some time, like the 5.0 had, and the 4.6 will have just as many aftermarket parts available.

Later, Jason

·
Registered
509 Posts
palemarry said:
:rolleyes: Bring your big bad 14lb 5.0 and get a piece of this little wimpy 11lb 4.6. On top of that the 4.6 SN95s are an easier car to work on, it took me 7-8 hours to install LT's completely by myself, which I dont think is bad at all. I can also pull my motor in less then 4 hours also completely by myself. Fact is don't knock it till you try it.

Jonathan

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well here were part of the reasons I chose to go back to the 2000 mod:

*4 wheel disc's
*8.8 Live axle rear that can handle decent hp with minor upgrades
*light body (compared to 96-98's)
*260hp stock
*400hp with power adder
* I dont have to spend 3 grand on body work just to stop the rust
*Parts even though pricey, are still easier to find than for a 35 year old car
*Compared to the 66, I can upgrade incrementally
*Prices and options for mod motors are getting better
*Obvious support by Ford for the MOD motor (lightning, cobra, mach, etc)

·
Registered
160 Posts
JMEIERS: Im not saying the 4.6 cant make power. There are alot of 5.0 guys running my new motor combo with no blower and going just as fast or faster than me with my old blower motor([email protected]). Your car will definelty haul alot more ass than mine would stck for stock supercharged. The cobra motor is a work of art compared to the old 5.0HO. But when it comes down to modification time and pulling the motor or changing heads, I dont have the money or patience to do it to a 4.6.

SILVERY2KGT: I completely disagree with you about which car is harder to work on. If you take two guys with equal mechanical skills that have never worked on the 5.0 or 4.6, Id put money that the guy working on the 5.0 would have an easier time swaping heads than a guy doing it to a 4.6.....headers are no exception. Im not trying to start a flame or put downs Im just saying it seems like a hard car to modify for the do-it-yourselfer that is on a budget.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
bsailors said:
Well here were part of the reasons I chose to go back to the 2000 mod:

*4 wheel disc's
*8.8 Live axle rear that can handle decent hp with minor upgrades
*light body (compared to 96-98's)
*260hp stock
*400hp with power adder
* I dont have to spend 3 grand on body work just to stop the rust
*Parts even though pricey, are still easier to find than for a 35 year old car
*Compared to the 66, I can upgrade incrementally
*Prices and options for mod motors are getting better
*Obvious support by Ford for the MOD motor (lightning, cobra, mach, etc)
:lol:

I guess you found out it takes a lot to keep up a 36 year old car. They look great and get lots of looks and positive comments, but there is a price to pay.

I remeber the first day I drove my Mach after getting it off the truck, and it all came back to me, how driving these cars do have thier rewards, but the handling is like driving the truck it was unloaded from. Straight line . . . good, turns, that is another subject.

I also remember the second day I drove it, fuel pump went. Now go find an NOS pump . . . good luck. Rebuilt one is over $130.

Ther sure are pretty, and wouldn't trade it for anything (other then an automatic), but they sure can be costly to maintain.

Try changing the spark plugs on a 428, and let me know what you think.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thats how I first go the mustang bug. I bought a 71 mach1 with plans ot restore it. It had the 351C with 4barrel heads and everything. I was a senior in high school though and couldnt finish the project. I ended up with a 73 grande with like 70,000 original miles. Lots of fun going straight!!! Needless to say I love fuel injection, coil springs and 4 wheel disc brakes. Beleive it or not though, some day when I move out and get married my ultimate goal is to build an ACcobra replica with a 302 twin turbo. I love these little cars and actually got to ride in a replica with a 427 side oiler.......*droool*

1 - 9 of 9 Posts