Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i was just wondering if they quit producing the sportsman block or where the best place to find one would be? Im just kinda looking around now for future plans. Ive read this block can handle 6-700 hp? If so this is the block ive been looking for because i dont want to spend big money on a dart when i KNOW i will never be running that much power.
thanks,
Ty

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Yep.... it is discontinued, but the B50 is basically a replacement block for the stock one. FRPP even had a disclaimer that read, and I quote:
"Extensive dynamometer and in vehicle testing has confirmed that this block should not be used for engines exceeding 450 HP @6000 RPM."

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
You can still find them... they are not cheap though.

The cost savings over a boss block are under $500 (If that much)

I do agree that ford did down grade the max HP numbers.. but, the big three figure this out on 100k duty cycles. so, where does this fall in line with the stocker?

Anyway, it is stronger than a roller block... HP???

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
if a b-50 is available then use it for a stock power level.

dont use it for a cheap alternative to a boss or dart/world block...

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
It's not really any stronger in the area that tends to break first, which is the webs between the mains and cam bearings. It's only about .125 thick on a stock block and isn't much, if any, better on the B50, from my understanding.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so for about 500 dollars more i could have a boss block? i know they are probably the next cheapest block in line...but ive heard they need a lot of costly machine work before you can actually assemble them. More than a dart or world block. Am i correct?
Ty

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so for about 500 dollars more i could have a boss block? i know they are probably the next cheapest block in line...but ive heard they need a lot of costly machine work before you can actually assemble them. More than a dart or world block. Am i correct?
Ty

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've been looking at new blocks also, and I found that bennett racing has a fully assembled shortblock using the boss block and it is like $4700. I think it is reasonable for all of the machining that has to be done and it comes with 4340 rods and crank and I think choice of pistons.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Ty

Well, it depends.

Sometimes the stars align and your assembly matches closer to the block than others. More often than not they don't. Any block, regardless of brand, will need to be honed to finish. From there it's a toss up...

The Boss blocks come undersized on the bore - If you're planing on +30 you'll need to *bore and *hone it to size. The mains are generally tight and aftermarket cranks are generally large, be prepared to *align hone the block. From there most of the decks are rougher and not perfectly square for our preference, but everyone has their own QC level, if we were doing it the block would be *surfaced and squared as well. Cam tunnel is generally good, lifters can go either way and may also need to be *honed to size. You'll need plugs, freeze plugs, and cam bearings installed in any of the blocks and anything will need to be washed before assembly regardless of brand.

DART blocks come in two configurations (for us at least) - Box stock or our own proprietary order. A box stock block will be undersized on the bore, same as the Boss block. Our proprietary blocks are 4.020" bore and will be hone to finish. The main tunnel on a DART is also generally tight, although some have come in ok. Our proprietary blocks are looser on the mains and, to date, haven't required an align hone. Decks are similar to the Boss's - Some people run them but we prefer to square them and have a RA surface finish that can use an MLS gasket without concern. Cam tunnels have always been fine, lifters have almost always been fine as well (keep in mind that different lifters are different dimensions.) Plugs, cam bearings, freeze plugs and a wash are required for these as well.

The World pieces are similar to the standard DART blocks.

Keep in mind that Boss's are machined on a machinery line - they go from 1 machining center to the next. While DART and World blocks are CNC machined in a single machine center and are then finished and QC'd. If you look at enough of them you'll start to see a lot of patterns between them.

There are advantages (IMO) to both the DART and the World blocks over the Boss blocks that have been pretty well covered so search for that if you're interested.

Hope that helps.

Brian

BTW: The same shortblock is $4495 from us vs. $4795.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you guys that pm'ed me, im not looking at buying anything now...just doing a little research. I dont have the funds now. Im sure the dart and world blocks do have their advantages over the boss block. But that is also probably why they are more expensive. I do not need the best of the best as my goal might be only 6-700 rwhp in the end. And i am always trying to budget the best i can. Because the money that people throw at these things (including me) is just unreal. And i know...the good ol saying always holds true....gotta pay if u want to play.
Ty

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
you guys that pm'ed me, im not looking at buying anything now...just doing a little research. I dont have the funds now. Im sure the dart and world blocks do have their advantages over the boss block. But that is also probably why they are more expensive. I do not need the best of the best as my goal might be only 6-700 rwhp in the end. And i am always trying to budget the best i can. Because the money that people throw at these things (including me) is just unreal. And i know...the good ol saying always holds true....gotta pay if u want to play.
Ty

Consider total cost when you purchase a block. Just because it's $200 cheaper to purchase up front if it's $300 more expensive to machine you've spent more to have the same finished product - An unmachined block is unusable.

Brian

·
Corral Charter Member
3,746 Posts
I've been looking at new blocks also, and I found that bennett racing has a fully assembled shortblock using the boss block and it is like $4700. I think it is reasonable for all of the machining that has to be done and it comes with 4340 rods and crank and I think choice of pistons.
Yeah, but Bennett's doing it, so it's overpriced junk that will take forever to find its way to your door, and then will probably have problems that he won't stand behind.

Not that I have experience with them or anything...

I'd look elsewhere.

·
PMS Tuning Forum Moderator
3,478 Posts
For what it is worth. I've had a B50 block for over 5 years. I had it as a stock bore stock stroke motor that made 600rwhp @ 6000rpms for 3 years, for the past two years I've had it with a 4.030 bore and 3.4 stroke making 450rwhp @7500rpms with no problems so far. Next motor will be a Dart build but so far so good with the B50 block.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
B50

I also have a B50 sportsman block 347 that has seen over 700RWHP with a blower and is still living. It is now a nitrous motor that is seeing just under 600RWHP on a regular basis. It is know were near a dart block but in my experience much better than a stock block.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
see thats where my problem lies. Im trying to decide what I NEED!...I have some people telling me the b50 block would suite my 600-700 hp levels that i will probably never exceed and other saying just to go with the dart etc.. I dont want to pay the big bucks for a boss, dart, or worlds block if the b50 will handle my 600-700hp ill eventually plan on. I am definitely one person that does NOT cut corners to get out the easy way. I want to do it right the first time. HOWEVER!, i dont want to pay for more than what i need. I dont ever plan on pushing a 1000HP...or anything over 600-700hp either.
Ty

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
If you look hard enough you'll find stock blocks that are making 600hp and have yet to break ... But there's the other side with the people who have broken them. The b50, IMO, is the same way. Some people do fine with them, some poeple don't.

Is it reliable at 600rwhp? There are too many people (including our direct customers) that have broken them for me to feel comfortable recommending them.

$.02

Brian

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had a B50 in my car for 3 years and it was making 600 rwhp for much of its life. The most it ever saw was 725. I hear the older castings were actully rated for 600hp but people was splitting them so Ford down graded the rating. If your looking for a better than stock block for cheap, get a mexican block. I know guys who have made crazy power on them and they held up pretty well.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks guys, its just that i have not heard of too many people saying that their b50 blocks blow up like people talk about the stock blocks. Maybe i just dont read enough forums ?? o well..but if i were to buy a boss block..how much would the machine work cost on it to get it ready for final assembly. I am thinking about doing a 331 stroker...so probably a 30 over bore and finish hone and then whatever else it may need? Id probably use stock ford racing hydraulic roller lifters.
Ty

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I've seen a sportsman block hold right at 600rwhp for a year and a half of hard use. And I've never seen a stock block hold that kind of power for any where near that long.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts