Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
B Spring (Ford Racing) Owners, look here please!

On Saturday I installed the Ford B Springs on my car.

Once it was all back together I was a bit disappointed with the drop I got....

Ford's instructions state that you may not get the drop you are eventually going to get right away, that it takes several hundred miles for the springs to "take a set" whatever that means...

So, has anyone's B springs dropped more over time? Here's hoping so!

Thanks!

MichaelZ

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I have had the B springs on my car for 3yrs and they do settle alittle more after awhile but not much. I also was disspointed.
-tyler

·
Registered
25 Posts
bsprings

Hey Michael,
I just bought some myself are they the motorsport springs with 7/8 in front and 1/2 inch in rear? If so i might want to change them before i install them. I dont want that big of a drop, cause i dont know how that will effect everything else. But i wnat to notice a change not to much but enough to notice.

Frank
92 Lx 5.0 Trunk (bone stock) "working from the bottom up"

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the "C" springs, they settled quite a bit, took a couple months though. When I put them in, I didn't notice much of a drop, but now the front tires fit just under the fenderwell. I think they look perfect-not too low and plenty of clearance for my 18x9 245/40 meats.
Give it some time, if you don't like the drop buy Jamex springs-they'll slam it to the ground.

Later

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My understaning is that Ford only makes 2 types of springs:

B's are progressive

C's are linear or fixed

From what I've heard C's drop you lower, but B's have better ride quality, but I'm sure that could be argued.

I went with the B's because I just wanted a little drop and still good ride comfort.

I was amazed when they came via UPS, they are almost the same height as my stock springs, just barely shorter, maybe 3/4 of an inch shorter.

At least the car is now even, my rear stock springs were sagging really bad so it was way lower in the back, don't have that problem anymore with all new B's, but I would have liked a little lower.

I'm going to give it a little while to see if it drops. My friend with C's looks great, but it's just too low for me!

MZ

·
Registered
50 Posts
I put mine in about 3 yrs and 25k miles ago. They take a couple hundred miles to "settle in". Mine sits alot lower than what you show and that's with turbines. The rear does sit higher as Ford states, even with my top down...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the C's on mine and the ride quality is great with my koni's ;) The only problem I have with mine, is I have a hell of a time getting a floor jack under the front frame, cause its so low.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
A couple of things.....

First-off - MichaelZ - BEAUTIFUL '85!! Heck, I think it looks great with the height that you got. :cool:

Second - a question - Did you swap your tire/rim combo at the same time as the springs? In your before/after pics, I see you went with a shorter sidewall, which may give the appearance of drop due to less tire in the wheelwell...... just theorizing.... ;)

Car looks great dude!

Wade

·
Registered
476 Posts
The B springs do take a few months to settle in. I put mine in in Feb. 2001 and I kept noticing the car get lower until late in July. However, I did notice the drop more since I have a 94 vert, it looked like a 4x4 before the springs:D .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
92Pony:

Thanks for the compliment. Took a year and a half to find the car, was worth the wait. She's perfect all over and only 52,xxx original miles.

Yep did the tires and rims at the same time, wanted to transform the whole look at one time.

To all:

I've decided that I'm happy with the height it is right now, if it drops a little more fine, but I think it looks good, it's lowered but not a lot.

Thanks for the replies!

MZ

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mine did settle maybe 1/8". Here are some pictures, I also cut a coil from the rear springs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
P-REX

Well yours is certainly lower than mine! Nice looking coupe and I like your ride height. Wish mine had dropped that much.

I will say that mine has dropped a bit more since I first put the springs in, not much but some.

Mine is a weekend only car, and has only gained 28 miles since the spring install. If it takes several hundred to settle the rest, that could be a while!

Thanks for the reply!

:)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Love the way your car looks. If you have not seen the latest MM&FF, there is an 85, same color same rims. Thought it was your at first. The magazine car has very unique painted trim. I also have B springs. Be happy. Most complain that the FMS springs drop it too low in fron and too little in back. I'm not complaining. I can barely fit a finger and a half between the front tire and fender.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Neil

Thanks for the compliment!

Yeah I have the latest MM&FF at home and opened it up and said WOW.

Basically that's all we have in common is year, color, and wheels, his car is heavily modded mine is mostly stock.

Mine seemed to drop evenly all the way around, and I am going to leave it as is.

Mine is about 2 fingers or so between the front fender and front tire, but maybe it will settle.

Thanks

MZ

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
General question: What shocks are you guys using with the B springs??

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm using Gabriel VST shocks and struts from Auto Zone, stock replacements.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Are they close enough to stock to be able to run stock replacement shocks without it giving a rough ride??? I know with the C's everyone I talk to says you need adjustable shocks to get even a DECENT ride.. shocks like adjustable Koni's or adjustable Tokico or shocks like Bilsteins...

Scott

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.