Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this was a $500 convertor, is it just a POS or is my motor to strong for it? the place where I got it said it would stall28-32 and was good for n2o or big blocks. I asked a speed shop and he said it was ok and kinda"lucky" in a way(originally wanted 36-3800)

is my motor to weak for it?, to strong for it?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Did they ask you for detailed info about your combo? If not they might've just guessed at the numbers.

I will never get an off the shelf converter, there's no way of knowing how it will perform. I'm ordereding a custom one for my 86.

And if its stalling higher than it was "rated" then you have more power than they calculated.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is it ok? Is that bad that it flashes higher?

the motor is pretty simple, it only ran high 104's last night but the line was really bad(2.1 60'(used to go 2.0 w/5spd)

my buddy's say once I spray it I will be glad and it will be worth the expense, right now the car feels waaaaay slower

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
3000 is the genaric stall...which varies with different torque curves, gears, weight, etc

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
MAT88GT said:
3000 is the genaric stall...which varies with different torque curves, gears, weight, etc
Yep, what he said. Stall speed isn't an exact science. Car weight, torque and traction also play a part in what the actual stall or flash rpms will be.

·
Registered
883 Posts
You want the converter to stall at or near your horsepower peak , this varies from one combo to the other. I ordered a 4200 stall converter planning on a heads/cam/intake, and high 11's with 4.10's, the converter stalled at 3800rpm behind the stock engine, which leads me to believe that with the heads/cam/intake and higher powerband, it would have stalled as advertised.
As stated above, you will be damn lucky if an off the shelf converter works with your combo, Torque converters need to be matched to the powerband of the engine,most importantly cam and gears, as the cam dictates where in the RPM scale the power comes in,and the gears(and tire size) dictate what your RPM will be at the end of the 1320. All the converter does is allow the engine to get up to the optimum rpm faster before transfering the energy to the transmission.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Also if you are going to spray it, it's going to stall even higher:eek:! Spray=More tq=higher stall

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, from what I understand it'll stall at 5000 on spray, I was thinking of getting an rpm upper(waited till after c4 conversion, still debating), I can also sell my upper and lower and get into a holley but I have alot porting done on my lower so an rpm seems to make more sense.

from what I understand this convertor is for a street/strip 351. The high performance parts store/warehouse said it was good for nitrous use, they know me and my combo and recomended it to me, it actually stalls at 3800 which is what I originally wanted, I just wanted to make sure it was slipping or loosing power or gonna break. I'm figuring for weather etc. the car lost 30rwhp by trap speed, so also compensating weight as well as power eaten

the sad thing is I went to an auto for the launch, it still blows the tires off but at least has a lil chance, I think some dr's will make me happy, and some slicks at the track

the motor pulls a few rpm higher, but there may have been some imbalance in my t5, it was pretty rocked

it is a basic combo, a performer intake and an E303, the stuff's been ported two or three times, but nonetheless, and w/my new shortblock, its only 10.3:1, I used to have 10.8:1, and you can feel the loss

1 - 9 of 9 Posts