Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone here had ever used one or has one now. Also wanted to know how you liked it? Can you post pics of it? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Billy

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess know one has ever used one before? Come on guys, I know one of you has had one or seen one in 94 and newer cars. Thanks.

-Billy

·
Registered
62 Posts
IMHO that shifter his huge, bulky and hideous! Just pop in a Hurst 1/4 stick. They look awesome and work even better.

All you have to do is get a NOS buttoned shifter knob for your o/d button.

Looks 10 times better.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I know this does not completly apply to your question. but, I used to have the BnM ripper shifter in my 68 falcon before I switched to a four speed. I actually loved it. It was nice to be able pull it back in to the ratchet mode and not have to worry about missing a gear. It was sort of like having two different shifters in one.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ONEBADMK8, does hurst make a 1/4 stick for our cars that looks factory. I want a shifter that is going to look stock. That is a big reason I am looking at the B&M shifter. Thanks for your help.
yellow2kgt, thanks for the reply. Take it easy.

-Billy

·
Registered
267 Posts
ONEBADMK8 said:
IMHO that shifter his huge, bulky and hideous! Just pop in a Hurst 1/4 stick. They look awesome and work even better.

All you have to do is get a NOS buttoned shifter knob for your o/d button.

Looks 10 times better.

Your MK8 is bad ass!!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ok, Heres a shot of a B&M hammer shifter installed in my 1999 Mustang GT.

The install of it was fairly straight forward. The shifter will tend to transmit some transmission gear noise into the cabin of the car. Also some have experiance problems with the saftey interlock cable. If its not adusted right the car will sometimes not start if its in park. It will start however if you shift to neutral first. This can have a advantage though slowing down a would be car thief. I like the shifter a lot. You can start in first if you wish and ratchet it up to the next gear and not worry about going to far by accident or accidently shifting up in to reverse. The lockout prevents that from happening. To disengage the lockout just lift up on the switch/lever in front of the shifter. Also the red button is now your Overdrive switch. You can simply turn off overdrive by pressing the button.

·
Registered
62 Posts
WOW damn that looks good as hell, I was thinking the universal one thats all huge and bulky.

I just do not like that shifter handle, its so out of place. A nice white knob would do sweet.

The Hurst 1/4 stick fits well, you do have to do some mods to a shifter boot since you cant use the huge aluminum piece that comes with it. I modified one in my 86 Capri that fits and looks killer.

It wouldn't be that hard to do to the newer body Stang Im sure.

Thanks for the compliment on the TerminVIIIor too!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn John K 99GT, that looks great. Thanks for the pic. How long have you had the shifter? Do you think it gets tiresome? How hard is it to adjust so I don't have problems with it? How long did it take you to install? Thanks man. Take it easy.

-Billy

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, and how hard is it to down shift? Thanks.

-Billy

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
John K 99GT said:
You can start in first if you wish and ratchet it up to the next gear and not worry about going to far by accident or accidently shifting up in to reverse. The lockout prevents that from happening.
The stock shifter stops at D just fine when upshifting. The release button needs to be pressed to go beyond that.

Does the B&M positively stop on 2 on the 1-2 shift? And then you have to "hit" it again to get 2-3? Like an old mopar slap shifter?

It also looks like the boot doesn't seal off inside the trim ring area. Is that right?

What about downshifting, does the lever need to be pulled to go from D-2 or 2-1?

Thanks for the pic. I've been wondering what the install looks like.

I have the bullitt trim ring on my car, and I think it'd look cool with that shifter.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks for the compliments.

The shifter positively stops each time you ratchet it either up or down a gear.

The shifter allows you to ratchet into each gear. Just push the shifter forward and let go it will Auto center itself. 1 to 2 to D and incase of engine failure you can also shift up into neutral. The only time you need to lift up on the lockout is to shift from neutral to Reverse and also for Park. By the way, you can also downshift with it. If your in D just ratchet it back towards you for 2 and let go, it will auto center the stick automactically. Then you from 2 to 1 just repeat process and pull it back torwards you untill it stops and let go and your in 1.

As far as adjusting the Ford safety interlock cable I still don't have it adjusted quite right. 75% of the time it will start just fine in Park but There is occasions when I turn the key and nothing happens so I have to shift it to Neutral to start the engine.

Overall the install was fairly easy. Just some minor wiring. 1st you need cut the old OD button wires and spice into it with the new B&M shifter switch. Its easy to find just follow the wires off of the original shifter. 2nd You need to get power to the LED that shows what gear you in. That power source needs to be on as soon as the ignition switch is turned on. I can't remember what I tapped for that but I think it was a power line off of the harness for my stereo.

The shifter uses the stock trans cable but you still need to go under the car to do some minor adjustments and hooking up a small braket, Its been a while since I installed it so its hard to remember what I did under the car. I put it in 2000 so its been there for about 2 years now.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
John K 99GT, thanks a lot for the help. That was a lot clearer. I understand how the shifter works now. I think you have really talked me into the shifter. Thanks man. Take it easy.

-Billy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey John K 99GT I can't view your pic? Can you re-submit? I've been wondering what that shifter looks like installed. I have a 2001 and have been thinking about getting one.

Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts