Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First noticed it a few days ago when going through the gears. only makes the noise (like something knocking or rattleing against something) very annoying. I thought is was my shifter or trans until i popped the hood and revved the engine, seemed to be comming from the engine, anyway I'm very pissed and i need help or any info that you all may have about the problem. Has anybody experienced something similar to this. All info is greatly appreciated!!! -David:mad:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Does it make noise during start up?

Does it make noise at idle?

Does it make noise only when revved?

What rpm do you start hearing noise?

Does it get worse with more rpm?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DS97Cobra said:
Does it make noise during start up?

Does it make noise at idle?

Does it make noise only when revved?

What rpm do you start hearing noise?

Does it get worse with more rpm?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////
No noise at idea.

Makes noise only when revved.

Starts making noise around 1800rpm then knocks faster and louder as rpm's grow.

Yepp, gets worse with more rpms.

Thanks, let me know something, i'm probly going to spend the day tomorrow breaking the problem down, and Oh do i dread it!!

·
Registered
675 Posts
same symptoms here except I don't come on loud till 2800rpms. time for a rebuild, sorry man :(

Oh yeah, what he said ROD BEARING

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
3 votes for rod bearing...

[edit] HOWEVER! Take it to a knowledgable shop and have them diagnose it up close and personal. But a rod bearing is most definately on the list that can cause that. sorry dude, hope thats not it...

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took my car out tonight after reading a few posts and you are correct mine doesn't rattle til right before 3000rpms. the weird thing is, is that i can feel it through my shifter and my clutch, installed a Steeda shifter, clutch adjuster kit awhile back and a SVO HD clutch around 4,000 miles ago, car has 52,700 miles right now. I am severly pissed off and not happy with the DOHC engines. If it is a rod bearing, what does that mean?:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Means you have to pull the piston rod out that has the spun bearing. Due to a lack of oiling, the bearing has developed a clearance between itself and the rod causing that noise. Check you oil level, when mine went out I lost 2 quarts of oil. Didn't burn it, but appeared to blow past the oil filter. It was dripping in oil.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
dude is it only while your moving. if u free rev it from the engine bay does it make the noise.

i say rod bearings too.
heres a good way to check. pull one cylinder fuel injector at a time and see if the noise gets quieter. if one or more cylinders do, then u found your bad bearings.

for some reason i don't feel its the bearings though. u sure its not the clutch or tranny?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Ah... the dreaded DOHC death knock... more and more people seem to be hearing this of late.

Sorry to hear it, my 97's DOHC went out a bit below 40K. Same symptoms. Still have NO idea where the oil went, but mine was down about 2.5 QTs and went south just after a couple of blasts (dang that lead foot!). We haven't torn it down yet, but expect to over the next month or so. I just went ahead and picked up another motor - 0 miles. Hopefully this one lasts a bit longer!

That knock is a horrible sound eh?
-Tom

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thers only one way to know for sure, and thats to remove the oil pan. If your knocking is as bad as you described, then you will have metal shavings in the oil pick up screen. When I lost a rod bearing on my second motor there was a very noticable loss in power and shavings. I hope its your tranny or a clutch issue. A loud throw out bearing can reverberate through the whole engine making you think its actually coming from the engine..Good-Luck...PBWY

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
What Duane said, pull the oil pan and check for metal shavings in the pick up screen... These motors get pissed if they don't have the proper amount of oil in them... I've made it a routine to check the oil level on a constant basis, or after a lot of high rpm driving...

I hope its not a rod bearing for your sake...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Been there, Done that.

#7 Rod Bearing Spun.

If you cannot afford to fix it right now, use some royal purple before it siezes up on you.

·
Registered
656 Posts
You might wanna make sure its not a bad TO bearing. Jack it up and have someone rev it slightly while your under the car, you can hear it very easily.

Hope for that, otherwise that sucks :(

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys thanks very much for all your info, for those who have experienced the rod bearing problem, did your shifter vibrate along with the clutch pedal???

·
Registered
308 Posts
Could be a rod bearing or a broken piston.
if it has thrown the rotating assembly out of balance you will feel it transfered through the trans.
Don

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yes, mine vibrated and the weridest thing, while coming down the road.. I had to stop at a red stoplight. While deaccelerating, i depressed the clutch and RPM's dropped like a mad dog. I nearly stalled. I stopped at the near by chevron which is block from my house to pick up a sunday morning paper. None the less, the car stalled and siezed. I was able to get nearly 10,000 miles off the spun bearing with Royal Purple though.

#7 rod is nortorious for spun bearings.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well now that i'm good and pissed, i guess i could ask what would be the best way to go about determining if it is a spun bearing, without spending money i don't have. If it is the bearing(s) and i have to rebuild, what would you all recommend, a rebuild or a new engine? And if a rebuild which way to go. What about a short block. If a new engine, what would have to be changed to use the 99-01 engine. Thanks fellas, you all are great!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts