Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
auto vs manual. Which is quicker? (new to forum)

With equal drivers, which is faster, a geared auto (4:10) with shift kit or a 5-speed with same gears. How would my car compete with a 5-speed with similar parts.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Well, they say a manaul puts more power down that a auto. An auto `99 and up GT will put 210-215wrhp and a manaul will put down 220-230wrhp i've heard. And with a manaul, youe can carry the gears out as long as you want, an auto will only rev to redline in first.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have always heard manual, if the driver can shift quickly i.e. quick feet/adjusted clutch/short throw shifter...or just on a stock car if the driver is good enough they should "out-shift" an auto. Yes, manuals put down more power, less mechanics and parts that the horsepower has to travel through so not as much power is lost getting to the wheels, manuals also weigh slightly less than autos (FYI).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So with similar modded cars I would think theyd be about equal, if the auto has been chipped/tuned properly. I guess its hard to say cause the manual guys will allways say theyre faster and so will the auto guys. I run a 13.9 @100 with my mods and a stock run of [email protected]

·
Registered
757 Posts
auto is more consistent than 5spd, lets face it not everyone can drive a stick like a pro. its all too easy to become excited and let the clutch out to fast and smoke 1st and 2nd where the automatic will be down the road. i'd say if the cars are modded equal its all about the driver.
my 0.02 cents.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i've been too the track 5 times this year, and only one n/a 5speed has been faster.

·
Registered
138 Posts
LOL evertime i race a car that is manual i always tell them not to miss a gear cus i wont

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
blackbeast99gt said:
...or just on a stock car if the driver is good enough they should "out-shift" an auto...(FYI).

No way! I don't care how good the driver is. If that were the case, all the pro draggers would have manual transmissions. For that matter, next time you're at the track, take a look at any car running under 10.5. They're all auto's.

Also, the original poster asked about a "geared auto with a shift kit". It is physically impossible for a human to shift a manual trans faster than my auto (see sig). And as Danger1317 said, I never miss a shift.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Got that rite 01 Steed we never miss and yes the fastes car in the track are AUTOMATIC so i tell this dont juge an automatic mustang if you have a manual.

also to be honest i am more scare to run an automatic car than manual :p

·
Registered
810 Posts
Got to love the Slush Box! Especially when racing for money, never get nervous and miss 3rd gear. 12's N/A and 11's on spray and when people check the car out they always say "Ohh its an automatic, that sucks." I love it, every 5 speed thinks they'll kill me because of it.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
It truely is hilarious that the stick guys all look down on the autos. Once I install my converter, I'll be spot on with a similarly equiped stick for rwhp. :evil:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a 97 5spd, my wife has a 96 auto and she beats me every time, simply because the auto WILL shift right and I have to TRY to shift right. Pro cars use auto's because they are always more consistent

·
Registered
228 Posts
yeah, but guys thats half the fun of driving these cars is throwing a hard shift, and yankin a couple of car lengths

·
Registered
228 Posts
but thats just my opinion too

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Believe me, when my auto hits 2nd, it leaps forward pretty hard, and again with 3rd. It borders on violent.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
When dealing with 12/13 second cars a manual will always be faster with a good driver. The auto doesn't 60 ft as hard and will always be down on horsepower to a similarly modded manual. You can count the bolt-on autos running 12's on one hand and it seems like every 5 speed out there is running in the 12's.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Well I guess that makes you special, huh? ;)

Like I said, once you throw in a 9" 3,000-4,000 stall converter, the auto's are right inline with the manuals as far as drivetrain loss is concerned. And, we can launch practically as hard. There are plenty of 4R70W's pulling good shorts. Be sure, I'll be posting mine within the next couple weeks. My days of 2.0's are long gone.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Danger1317 said:
LOL evertime i race a car that is manual i always tell them not to miss a gear cus i wont
What makes you think just because somebody has a manual they will miss a gear? It is really pretty basic, especially if you do not power shift. I do not power shift my 2000 because I am trying to be as gentle as I can on the T-45. That will change once I get around to swapping it out to a TKO. You can shift quickly with out power shifting, but you are definetly leaving a little ET on the track if you do not.

As for the original question, take a stock Mustang with 4:10 gears, a good driver as you mentioned, and run the car with a stock 5-speed. Swap the tranny to a auto with a shift kit and then run it. What would be the difference? At stock hp levels the auto is giving up ~10 hp from all of the stock dyno numbers I have seen (210-220 vs 220-230), probably a few pounds on the tranny weight, but gaining some back with faster shifts with the auto. I would expect the times to be basically the same in the exact same car with only a tranny swap.

Brian

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
2000AtlanticGT said:

As for the original question, take a stock Mustang with 4:10 gears, a good driver as you mentioned, and run the car with a stock 5-speed. Swap the tranny to a auto with a shift kit and then run it. What would be the difference? At stock hp levels the auto is giving up ~10 hp from all of the stock dyno numbers I have seen (210-220 vs 220-230), probably a few pounds on the tranny weight, but gaining some back with faster shifts with the auto. I would expect the times to be basically the same in the exact same car with only a tranny swap.

Brian
I'll buy that.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Stephen00GT said:
When dealing with 12/13 second cars a manual will always be faster with a good driver. The auto doesn't 60 ft as hard and will always be down on horsepower to a similarly modded manual. You can count the bolt-on autos running 12's on one hand and it seems like every 5 speed out there is running in the 12's.
My car used to be 5 speed until I broke 4 T-45's. I found out that shifting and I just don't get along. Now I have the auto and have run low 12's and hoping to be faster now with my newfound horsepower. I've seen/had the experience of both sides (manual/auto) and I have to admit, I like the auto better. But then again, that's my opinion.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts