Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to swap my 4R70W in my 96 for a 5 speed this winter.

I have a hit on a nice TR-3650. Is there any reason I should pick this tranny over a T-45?

Also, this is my first time buying a used transmission. Any pointers as to what I should look for?

Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
went with a tr3650 when I converted my 96 gt, cross member mods needed. If I remember correctly I made a plate to compensate and used the tranny mount from the automatic. It would prolly be easier to go for the t-45 plus there is some sentiment that the t-45s are a better unit, less problematic.
but I cant really say as I have never owned a stang with a t-45. My 03 obviously has a tr3650 and it shifts like butter.

IMHO its hard to tell when buying a used manual tranny or any tranny for that matter. I guess just make sure there is not a lot of slop on the input shaft. Turn the shaft noticing any roughness as it rotates, look at the bearing retainer and make sure there are no gouges and have the owner install a shifter and check that you can get all the gears.

A5 speed swap is a nice little winter project, as long as you are in a garage.
If memory serves I had to buy the 5 speed harness and swap the auto harness out.

·
Registered
797 Posts
you need a computer from a manual car and you need a manual transmission harness and the manual pedal assembly

·
Registered
30 Posts
If your car has a gear style vehicle speed sensor you will need a trans with the same style sensor,

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
not necessarily true.

you can get a speedcal unit from dallas mustangs to convert to the vss signal.
but that just another reason to go with the t-45, however if you are getting the 3650 for next to nothing it may be worth it. The S/C unit is around 100 bux

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The guy is selling the 3650 for $150 but it has a broken clutch fork which wasn't too bad. However after looking closer the bellhousing has a small crack. I'm probably going to pass and continue looking for T-45s.

Thanks for the help guys!
And that's correct BlueOval, you can use your auto computer. You will have to get it tuned to get rid of the cel but the car will still run fine.

·
Registered
797 Posts
you can remove the bell housing, you can also have the crack welded.

·
Registered
30 Posts
it all depends on what you can get the t-45 for. so 150 for a good tr3650 is a steal however you have to factor in 100 bux for the speedcal unit then there is the hassle of the m-mount difference as the mount locations are a little off in terms of fore and aft, as previously stated I had to make a plate. IMHO it would prolly be easier to stick with the t-45 since the 96 mustang gt never came with a tr3650.

·
Registered
932 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 3650 is one piece unit with the bell housing.
it is a 3 piece unit, you dont need to remove the bell housing to weld a crack.
hair line cracks are common on the outside of the case, they are just on the surface nothing to worry about, if there is a real crack then have it welded

welded bell housing

bolt holes

bolts can be removed

tail housing can be removed

·
Registered
797 Posts
ask him how he got the transmission, did he take it out of his car or did he buy it from someone else. if you need a bell housing i can sell you one but you seem far away so shipping may be expensive, i have 2 tremec 3650 transmissions both need rebuilt. i can probably pull one of the bell housings off and ship on to you if you really need one. i also have a steeda tri ax short throw shifter and a stock shifter for a 3650
parts to rebuild one are expensive and and hard to find for a 3650, it was cheaper for me to buy a stock rebuilt 3650 on ebay for $800 than to have a local shop rebuild it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ask him how he got the transmission, did he take it out of his car or did he buy it from someone else. if you need a bell housing i can sell you one but you seem far away so shipping may be expensive, i have 2 tremec 3650 transmissions both need rebuilt. i can probably pull one of the bell housings off and ship on to you if you really need one. i also have a steeda tri ax short throw shifter and a stock shifter for a 3650
parts to rebuild one are expensive and and hard to find for a 3650, it was cheaper for me to buy a stock rebuilt 3650 on ebay for $800 than to have a local shop rebuild it.
He transmission was in his 03 GT that he wrecked. He's parting it out now. No rebuild on it as far as he's concerned. I'm going to pass on that one though. I will continue my search for a T-45.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts