Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Auto Meter ELEC. Oil Pressure Sender/Sensor Q's..

I am re-building an '88 302 and I don't have the Oil-Pressure sensor/sender, could I just use an Auto Meter Electric Oil Pressure sensor in place of the OEM one?

The Auto Meter Electrical gauges includes sender, 1/8" and 1/4" NPT fittings. Is this all I would need to use this in place of the OEM fitting? Or would I need to find a OEM oil press. sensor and make a T-fitting for the Auto-meter gauge? This is what many people I talked to did to install an A.Meter gauge to their high-mileage, all-sensor-having motors.

Has anyone used ONLY the autometer gauge oil pressure sender without the OEM sensor and T-fitting? Is it possible?

Thanks for any info in advance.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
That should include the right fittings to replace the OEM stuff. Whatever you do though dont use the plastic tubing. Get some of Autometer's or whoevers braided lines.

SVT

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, so I can use the Electric one right? I'm still looking for people that have used an Electric Auto Meter Oil pressure gauge w/o the OEM sensor.

Thanks for the info LTD.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
My bad i didnt catch the electric part. Im not sure about that. Mine is mechanical.

SVT

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so you have a Mechanical one..Did the Gauge come with the stainless braided line? Did you run a "T-fitting" from the existing sensor or use the Autometer Sender? How long would I need the S.S line be? 4ft? Thanks

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
i remember hearing some where that you cant use a stock sender with a after market gauge or stock gauge with aftermarket sender.

·
Registered
12,830 Posts
I would imagine that the sensors are unique to the gauges. If you're gauge is electric, then you don't have any braided or plastic line to run. You only have a wire or two to run (just like the stock sensor).

You can simply replace the sendor with the correct one. You can do a t-fitting if you want to keep the stock gauge working properly, but it has no bearing on engine control (myself, I don't like non functioning gauges).

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm confused - are you trying to hook up an Autometer gauge and keep the stock gauge working at the same time? If so, you will need a t-fitting.

You NEED to use the Autometer sender with the Autometer gauge. If you use the OEM sender, the gauge will not be accurate!

I have an Autometer gauge and replaced the OEM sender with the Autometer sender. I cut the sender wire in the dash and connected it to the Autometer gauge. My stock gauge is dead now, but if it was accurate enough to be useful I wouldn't have bought the Autometer gauge in the first place.

Pete

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pete91GT said:
I'm confused - are you trying to hook up an Autometer gauge and keep the stock gauge working at the same time? If so, you will need a t-fitting.

You NEED to use the Autometer sender with the Autometer gauge. If you use the OEM sender, the gauge will not be accurate!

I have an Autometer gauge and replaced the OEM sender with the Autometer sender. I cut the sender wire in the dash and connected it to the Autometer gauge. My stock gauge is dead now, but if it was accurate enough to be useful I wouldn't have bought the Autometer gauge in the first place.

Pete
I bought an '88 LX roller that came with a high-mileage short block lacking an ALL sensors. Since a new Ford o.p sensor is about the same price as a mechanical Autometer Oil Pres. gauge, I am definitely considering using one to monitor pressure in actual PSI rather than the archaic N O R M A L scale.

I want to use an Autometer gauge with an Autometer Sender, as I have NO oil sender at all right now. I will use an Autom Meter sender. Electric or Mechanical? Does the mechanical one come with S.S line? What is everyone using?

Pete, you are using an Electric or Mechanical Autometer gauge? Sorry to confuse everyone.

Thanks for the replies :joy:

·
Registered
621 Posts
You cannot use the stock sending unit with the autometer gauge. You will not get a reading. I have not looked into the reason. I do not know if it's internal in the sending unit or what, but it will not work. I tried it just for kicks. I'm not sure if there is any way to have both the factory and autometer gauges working off of one sending unit. Don't know why you'd want to unless you can't stand to watch the stock needle sit there limp.
I have tried using a mechanical gauge. It seemed to react differently than the autometer electrical gauge. Although when I tested both with my air compressor at different psi settings, both read exactly what the gauge on the compressor read. The mechanical gauge on the car seemd to never drop below 20 psi, while the electric gauge would sit at 10 to 15 during idle after the car was fully hot. I had oil pressure problems and I know that pressure is low. I bought a new autometer sending unit and it read the same as the old one. I just haven't figured out why both gauges read differently on the car. The electrical one would never read quite as high as the mechanical one either. Very odd indeed.
You might consider a mechanical gauge mounted on the cowl in front of the windshield if that is your thing. You won't have to worry about electrical parts failure and such at least.

Paul

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm sure if you buy an electric gauge it should come with the proper sending unit. If you buy a mechanical sending unit it will most likely come with a fitting and a piece of plastic tubing to run through the firewall. The plastic is the optional part you can replace it with SS but it will cost extra and work better. By the way the ones built into our dashes only tell you if you have oil pressure they do not tell you how much, it's a fancy idiot light

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Deepstage said:
You cannot use the stock sending unit with the autometer gauge. You will not get a reading. I have not looked into the reason. I do not know if it's internal in the sending unit or what, but it will not work. I tried it just for kicks. I'm not sure if there is any way to have both the factory and autometer gauges working off of one sending unit. Don't know why you'd want to unless you can't stand to watch the stock needle sit there limp.
I have tried using a mechanical gauge. It seemed to react differently than the autometer electrical gauge. Although when I tested both with my air compressor at different psi settings, both read exactly what the gauge on the compressor read. The mechanical gauge on the car seemd to never drop below 20 psi, while the electric gauge would sit at 10 to 15 during idle after the car was fully hot. I had oil pressure problems and I know that pressure is low. I bought a new autometer sending unit and it read the same as the old one. I just haven't figured out why both gauges read differently on the car. The electrical one would never read quite as high as the mechanical one either. Very odd indeed.
You might consider a mechanical gauge mounted on the cowl in front of the windshield if that is your thing. You won't have to worry about electrical parts failure and such at least.

Paul
I was always wondering how different the Electric & Mechanical versions act towards each other. Very interesting. Thanks also Pete91GT for the info. I have all the information i need and so I'll go with an Electric Auto Meter gauge in the a/c Vent and use their sender. I'll look into Mechanical w/s.s line as well, as it seemingly is more accurate? Which one did you go with Paul? I would like to know..

Thanks.:salute:

·
Registered
226 Posts
The machanical guages are probably more accurate than the electric gauges. However, they are a PITA to plum the line to and if the line should leak you now have the joy of hot oil in the interior of your car (thus the recommendation to mount it in the cowl).

You really have to ask yourself, how much accuracy do you really need? Personnally, +- 5 psi is good enough. If I was running a dry-sump Winston cup motor and spinning to 10000rpm, maybe more accuracy would be important.

Pete

·
Registered
621 Posts
Pretty much what I recommended to Josh in a pm Pete. I use the electric gauge in the center vents. It's the 2 gauge unit with the small side vents. I think it looks great, almost like it came that way from the factory. That's one big plus for the electric IMHO.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the Info guys..I will go Electric Oil Pressure & Water Temp w/A-c Cage..Anyone recommend a third gauge because the triple-cage setup looks just as good..

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

SVT

·
Registered
718 Posts
I use all mechanical guages! I can see the reason behind wanting a electric oil pressure guage but I would think an mechanical Water temp guage would be better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts