Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will '99-'01 Cobra exhaust parts fit the '03 Cobra? I'm thinking of the FR500 cat-back, and maybe BBK off road H pipe. What are the chances these existing pieces will fit? Or will we have to wait for the aftermarket designers to come up with new patterns? We may just have to wait and see, I suppose.
Thanks,
CW

·
Administrator
1,712 Posts
99-01 stuff should fit just fine. I'd HIGHLY recommend a Magnaflow system. For the price you simply can't beat the gains you can make with it.

I would also reconsider your decision to use an off-road exhaust. While that type of system might offer some performance gains, it isn't exactly environmentally responsible. Additionally you can achieve very similar gains with a catted X or H pipe without having to go through all the issues you're going to have with the engine computer and an off-road pipe. This will negate the need to use MIL eliminators, or a custom burned chip to turn off the Catalyst Efficiency sensors. Both of which will add to the cost of your Off-Road pipe installation.

In addition to all that it is technically illegal to remove any emissions control device. While most cops don't enforce it some areas in some states are VERY picky about it. As far as I know, it is perfectly legal for a police officer to impound a car that does not have functioning emissions equipment.

IMHO the gains to be had from an off-road pipe just don't outweigh the negative effects.

·
Administrator
1,712 Posts
Re: Best Catted h or X

Jim Vaccaro said:
Which catted x or H pipe has the best Cats??
I also like the Magnaflow catback.

Jim V.
Well apparently Bassani used to use the 3 way cat manufactured by Car Sound (Magnaflow's parent company), but then changed for some reason. Now there are cars in VA with brand new Bassani X-Pipes that aren't passing emissions.

Magnaflow is apparently using the better three-way cat from Carsound. I would expect these systems to pass emissions, but only time will tell as the two or three people I know of that have bought this new 99-02 Magnaflow X-Pipe haven't been to the emissions station yet.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Chris:

I'm considering a new exhaust for my "soon to arrive" 03 cobra. I've heard you talk about the performance gains from the Magnaflow catback exhaust, but I'm curious of the exhaust tone and loudness.

Is the Magnaflow catback very loud like the 2 chamber flomaster catback? Or is it compared closer to the refined sound of a borla catback?

Thanks!

·
Registered
153 Posts
From the sound clips ive heard a 2 chamber delta flow flowmaster has the best sound with prochamber H-pipes. I haven't heard dynomax bullets on a GT or Cobra yet that would be the only think that i think could dethrone the flowmasters Solid american v8 rumble.

kirkyg

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
You can do a search for my username in the modular forum over in the SVT forum of stangnet and view the thread I created if you want to view some large pics of the 99-01+ (for cobras) Magnaflow catback....it's a quality piece of exhaust piping IMHO, best of luck!

Oh yeah, btw if you do need MIL elims, try out www.ponyexpressperformance.com (they have great customer service & a quality product, not to mention low prices).

:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.