Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going with 4.56's also and need to know about this "pin modification":confused: I picked my car up today from getting the subframes installed and tq boxes welded up and the guy tells me I need a "backcut pin" in order to properly install the gears. What is he talking about? I'm pretty much a know nothing when it comes to diffs and gear swaps. Where can I get this modified pin, or where can I get a stock one and have it machined(I work at a steel fabrication company with a rather well equipped machine shop, so I could get it done there)? How much does one run, whether stock or modified?

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
well..

...if your doing a 31 spline trac lock or similar, FoMoCo does make one that is shaved down on one end, sells for @$25.00. part number is something like F87Z-4211-AA. I think. got 'em at work if you need one.
Randy

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Scott--On the Cobra, the pin acts as a spacer and doesn't have to be removed to install c-clips like on a live axle car. The ring gear tooth on the 4.56s interferes with reinserting the pin after putting the c-clips on the axle ends. The IRS cars just have circlips and a groove in the spider gears.
Joe Lynch

·
Registered
436 Posts
Joe Lynch said:
Scott--On the Cobra, the pin acts as a spacer and doesn't have to be removed to install c-clips like on a live axle car. The ring gear tooth on the 4.56s interferes with reinserting the pin after putting the c-clips on the axle ends. The IRS cars just have circlips and a groove in the spider gears.
Joe Lynch
OK - I understand - Thanks "El Presidente'"

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So since I have a live axle I need this modified pin, correct?:confused:

·
Corral Charter Member
2,020 Posts
Mine was filed down when installed. Honestly though, I do not remember if it was necessary or not - I've never done a ring and pinion install. Sorry buddy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts