Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
I was able to use 6.5 inch long push rods, I actually could have used stock length but could not get a hardend push rod set any shorter then 6.5 in. Hope this helps.

Ryan

·
Registered
297 Posts
Stock length Ford Racing chromoly

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Pedistal or Stud?? 6.500 seems a little long to me....... I was using 6.375 with a small base circle cam.........

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GreyLX306 said:
Pedistal or Stud?? 6.500 seems a little long to me....... I was using 6.375 with a small base circle cam.........
well the heads are stud.also the cam im using is a stock cam for now.:evil:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know this is a dum question but" how do you know if your push rod is too long or short"?and what could happen if there to long or to short ?:confused:

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
If im correct, the pushrod is too short if its just sitting there, and a long one would smash the valve into the piston, wouldnt it?

·
Registered
233 Posts
It's been my experience that a pushrod that is either too long or too short will primarily effect the sweep over the valve stem tip. To ensure that you have the proper pushrod length, you mock the valve train up and look for the signature of the roller tip across the valve stem tip, typically distinguished by coloring the vlave stem tip w/ a sharpie or marker and notating the wear pattern left by the rocker after you spin it over dry a few times. Too long and you're on the outside edge of the valve, too short and your on the inside. Long term results are worn valve guides due to poor geometry.
I've not heard of valves banging against the slugs b/c of pushrod length. But I'm always learning:)

Reply to original post- I'm running FMS hardened pushrods w/ my 185's, the stock 6.27 length. No problems here. Block has never been decked, 1.6 FMS rockers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts