Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
the only way to do it is to remove the negative battery terminal. Why just drive with it on until you get home?

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
281NightCrawler said:
I guess thats my last resort ... Ill check it out on my break in a few ... thanks
That is your only resort! The only way to reset the computer is to disconnect the battery for about 15 minutes.
Besides resetting the computer may get rid of your Check engine light for now but will not fix the actual problem that may exist.

I would have Autozone run some codes and see what is happening. If you have a catted X or H pipe it is most likely your rear O 2 sensors setting it off. Get a chip to turn off the rear O2's or get some Mill Eliminators. If not run some codes and find out what the problem is. Recycling the ECC only accomplishes one thing and that is to temporarily turn off the Check engine light.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I see you have an Off Road X. I bet that's where your problem lies. I would have the rear O2's turned off via a chip or ECC flash.
Mills don't always work well.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you want a "quick fix" disconnect the negative battery terminal and hold down your break pedal for about 60 seconds. That will generally suck any juice out of the system. But you should fix the real problem not make it go away for a day or two. It could get worse (worse = more $$$).

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
UPDATE:

Yesterday on my break I went out to the car and looked over the Owner's Manual. Looked in the fuse section and found what I was looking for. :)

I took out 5A Fuse/Relay #21 which is the "Instrument Cluster & Engine Control Memory" fuse. This is located inside the car on the driver side fuse box. I pulled it out, pressed on the brake pedal for 30 seconds, put the fuse back in, and wha laaa, no more "Check Engine Light". I still have all the radio stations and time programed just the way I had it. The light has NOT came on. I was adjusting the O/R X pipe over the weekend and guess that I triggered the light to come on.

Just wanted to share this discovery. :) :joy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts