Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've heard that anything below 180* t-stat will interfer with closed loop. anyone know if this is really the case? reason i ask is because i need a t-stat and waterpump and the car usually doesn't warm up past (what appears) 180*, sometimes its less like closer to 160* i guess, and others it's near 200* depending on the weather. and yes these temps are taken from the stock guage. just wondering if anyone knew-it's not real important, i'm changing it in a few days.

BTW what t-stat are you using? i've used stant in my cougar and bronco with no problems, but the mustangs hates them. i seem to change em every year-good thing they're cheap and easy to change.

\thanks
steve

·
Registered
310 Posts
92 5 oh said:
i've heard that anything below 180* t-stat will interfer with closed loop. anyone know if this is really the case? reason i ask is because i need a t-stat and waterpump and the car usually doesn't warm up past (what appears) 180*, sometimes its less like closer to 160* i guess, and others it's near 200* depending on the weather. and yes these temps are taken from the stock guage. just wondering if anyone knew-it's not real important, i'm changing it in a few days.

BTW what t-stat are you using? i've used stant in my cougar and bronco with no problems, but the mustangs hates them. i seem to change em every year-good thing they're cheap and easy to change.

\thanks
steve
With a stock 192 deg t-stat the EEC I have seen has it going into closed loop at 180 deg from a cold start. During a hot start it goes into closed loop at temps above 170. If you go for a 180 deg t-stat you may want to change these temps to 170 and 160 respectively along with the hi/lo fan temps.
I have had a Stant 180 go bad on me also as it worked fine for a year and then it would open anywhere from 172 to 195 on some days, I guess that averages out to 180 . The temperature was measure on my Ford Info Panel which is accurate o +-3 deg F. I was going to try a Lightning T-stat next, just cant be bothered with the coolant/water wetter/distilled water spilt on the driveway and the time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts