Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know buy afrs or TW heads.... Have a couple of those on other cars but doing a complete budget build on a beater so its getting the cheap ####. I got a set of bare casting that are pretty much copies of the dart pro 1 head. There sold by tons of shops under private labels threw proheader, rpc, liberty, blue print ETC...Same casting you see on ebay with the double drilled exhaust advertised as cast 180-195cc with 64-60cc chambers depending on who's selling them. there china heads, not procomps but still china castings. There a diecasting and pretty decent from the set I have and the info I can find on them Its a pain to find info on them because everyone lumps the china heads as the old pro comp casting and sbc out sells sbf like crazy, found a lot more info on the sbc asain casting of this head.

For what I paid, I didn't expect much but what I got made me want to see what else is out there on the cheap end for SBF heads. Plan for them so far is a basic SS 2.02/ 1.60 valve, real light port work just cleaning up the bowls and casting. Arp studs, afr adj guide plates & Lunati 73925k2 kit for the valve train. I'll be into them for less the I could find any decent used inline head for or even get bare casting buying new. Should end up being a decent budget head with .650" capable valvetrain. There going on a 347 replacing e7te's someone put on it..

So what other heads are out their with china made clones and what have you seen used or used your self?

You have procomp heads everyone knows, which was vic jr based, some had issues with the heads no clue if they every fixed the casting but they still sell them under speedmaster and who ever else imports them.

flotek the gt40 based heads, not really a fan of the head it was based off of since I had an set of X heads years ago.

RPC, Proheader, liberty etc, dart pro 1 based casting

the SVE and promaxxx stuff looks like its based off the performer/ E street series heads.

The old patriot freedom heads before promaxx bought them out where based of the afr 185 head

Saw some facbook posts recently that looked like there is another afr clone head being shopped around and for as cast, in the few pics and the testing they posted it looked very good.

any Asian heads I missed you want to add or any you had had experience with?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Don't do it.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do what? use a china cast head on a engine with china forged rods , crank and pistons ? :lol: there not the pro comp #### everyone complained about and the valve train/ hardware I am using is used in many US cast heads. these are better then the x303 and performer rpm castings I've had in the past, there pretty decent as cast and will take pretty much any port a dart pro1 head will...... Like said they all get lumped in with the old pro comp ####.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Many do it. Ls community seems to have less hate about the Chinese heads.

I’ve never used a set, but someone can donate me a Chinese block, Chinese stroker kit, Chinese heads, Chinese turbo, Chinese fitech.... I’ll figure out how to go fast with it.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please support the recommendation.
all ready own them so there going on. the casting are impressive for what I paid for them..... not asking If I should, asking if anyone has used the different china cast cylinder heads, and if so which one's, who has had work done to them which castings are decent etc..

As for the ls crowd, yeah they know how to do budget builds and make power. They tend to share what works and what is junk, here if its not top of the line, oh no its crap. I have afr heads, not on a budget build though. stock block 347 inline valve piston so no tfs heads for this one unless someone has a set of highports for well under a grand ready to go?, good chance it will split when I get greedy with the nitrous so no point in throwing top of the line parts on a short block that came in a beater I bought. Still waiting on that dirt cheap 4 bolt 8.2 deck china block though. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I bought a Chinese intake, (just to seal up an engine) one of the front intake runners was 3/4" off alignment! Nice quailty huh?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I got a friend who built up a Nice 306 with Procomp heads 190CC.

306 bored out with pistons 11:1 compression
Eldebrock Victor Jr Intake
Procomp 190cc heads bought on ebay for 600$ Shipped. Untouched bolt them on out of the box.
TFS Stage 2 camshaft, Those heads require max .550 Lift with the springs, so the tfs stage 2 cam fit the bill.
650 Holley DP Carb

On a engine dyno it made 368HP at 6550 Rpm.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can you post pics of the heads?

I'd like to see them.
there a dart clone don't have any of the set I have, those sitting in a buddies shop getting grinded on, here's some I found online private labeled as blueprint, there on ebay under a few names, lots of parts houses selling them or just get them from the source.

china intakes for the most part are still #### procomp sand castings, haven't looked for a sbf efi intake in while, Have a couple laying around. Not sayng all china castings are good... saying some of the stuff is impressive for the price, like these

Attachments

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and here is some sve and possible promaxx being die cast I found while looking for info on all the imported heads showing up. Some nice equipment in that foundry.

Hard to find info on the promaxxx sbf head, summit and jegs still show a pic of afr clone while the rest show an eldelbrock based casting

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts

I’m in. Lol I’d throw a set on mine too,if they explode I’ll get another junkyard motor and try again. I know a guy locally that has experience with no name heads on his car. He beats the ##### out if it and it’s still going. I just think the quality control is bad as far as china stuff, that’s the chance you take. Some have great experience and others fail out of the box. It’s like going to Vegas, you might win and or you might get herpes. Or Both lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
669 Posts
I was looking at those as well, just haven’t pulled the trigger. if you can get it with the eBay coupon they would be well under 700$ shipped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Please support the recommendation.
Re-read the thread again. Start from the first sentence. He knows he should be using better parts, but....Blah, blah, blah. My build is a budget build. I purchased TFS 11R heads. If we avoid buying cheap parts, they'll stop making them.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Cheap parts have always and will always be around. There is too large of a market to ignore.

You get what you pay for......both here in the US and in China. Ford has parts from China. So do pretty much every manufacturer. Chinese manufacturing is a fact of the modern economy. Just as there are shoddy manufacturers in small town (even big city) USA, there are shoddy manufacturers in China.

China wants money. They make a part to spec. If the company that had those parts made isn't doing a secondary QA process upon delivery and just sells them, they get what they deserve. But if they do QA at delivery and too many itemms hit the failure point, the buyer can say "I'm not paying." And reject the entire shipment.

When that happens enough China quality will rise. This is basic stuff. Japanese products were total poop after WWII. Now their quality rivals the best in the world and surpasses many. Unless you don't want to pay for it. Same thing is/will happen with China.

That said I have been reading about ProMAXX heads.... Looks like China casting with finish assembly here.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
and here is some sve and possible promaxx being die cast I found while looking for info on all the imported heads showing up. Some nice equipment in that foundry.

Hard to find info on the promaxxx sbf head, summit and jegs still show a pic of afr clone while the rest show an eldelbrock based casting
It's easy to find info on ProMAXX. What do you want to know?

Jason has his own castings (from China), everything else is done in Alabama.

Heads flow what they flow, and everyone copies everyone.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Cheap parts have always and will always be around. There is too large of a market to ignore.

You get what you pay for......both here in the US and in China. Ford has parts from China. So do pretty much every manufacturer. Chinese manufacturing is a fact of the modern economy. Just as there are shoddy manufacturers in small town (even big city) USA, there are shoddy manufacturers in China.

China wants money. They make a part to spec. If the company that had those parts made isn't doing a secondary QA process upon delivery and just sells them, they get what they deserve. But if they do QA at delivery and too many itemms hit the failure point, the buyer can say "I'm not paying." And reject the entire shipment.

When that happens enough China quality will rise. This is basic stuff. Japanese products were total poop after WWII. Now their quality rivals the best in the world and surpasses many. Unless you don't want to pay for it. Same thing is/will happen with China.

That said I have been reading about ProMAXX heads.... Looks like China casting with finish assembly here.
On the ProMAXX heads, all the machine work is done here also.

And their part number "system" is........odd.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
easy for you, your in the trade. I'm well aware everyone copies everyone. I haven't seen any promaxxx out in the wild myself for a SBF. bbc and sbc but not sbf. Just general experience with them, What casting there now selling in the three version they offer the head in. They changed the casting based on the stock photos I'm seeing from places selling them, hell those might even be the old patriot castings Marty had before promaxxx bought it, one is based off an afr head, even CHP site still shows it, the other on an edelbrock layout that looks like the unfinished castings in the picture I posted.

I saw a recent china casting that looks real close to the most recent afrs, same port layout, deck and chambers talking about a 185 and 210 as cast head but they only had the sample set.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts