Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a set of TFS Twisted Wedge heads many years ago (1999 maybe) and used an ARP head stud kit (ARP-154-4005).

Now I think my drivers side rear stud might be leaking coolant. I used ARP thread sealer way back then, but maybe not enough of it. So I was thinking I could remove that one stud, add extra thread sealer and retorque it, or retorque them all as recommended.

Anyway, the problem I have now is my studs don't appear to have 3/16 allen-keys machined on the top. Is it possible I installed them all upside down, or is the allen key insert a later addition?

I might be able to double nut it, if I can find two thin 5/8 nuts... but room to swing wrenches in that location is really tight.

·
Registered
59 Posts
ARP studs are coarse thread into the block and fine thread on top, so you really can’t install upside down.

Those studs are 7/16”, not 5/8”. Go to your local hardware store and get a couple of 7/16-20(fine thread) jam nuts, they’re thinner than “standard” and will probably fit better when you try to remove the one stud with the head still on.

Rusty

·
Registered
161 Posts
Anyway, the problem I have now is my studs don't appear to have 3/16 allen-keys machined on the top. Is it possible I installed them all upside down, or is the allen key insert a later addition?

Allen keys broached onto the strud were an addition in the 2000's. They were not on my arp studs when I built my original motor in 2000 and were there when I built the second motor in 2008. Do as Rusty suggested and get 2 thin nuts, jam them together and unscrew the stud - with a wrench or ratchet, not an impact - and you should be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts