Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
How many people do you know that daily drive a 25 year old vehicle? Daily drive, not own. I can't think of one person in my neighborhood, and we have a bunch of old folks that theoretically should be driving old cars. So maybe less than 5%? Thats hardly "causing all the pollution".

·
Moderator & USAF Reserve
1,513 Posts
How many people do you know that daily drive a 25 year old vehicle? Daily drive, not own. I can't think of one person in my neighborhood, and we have a bunch of old folks that theoretically should be driving old cars. So maybe less than 5%? Thats hardly "causing all the pollution".
So why not require them to be maintained like any other car?

·
Moderator & USAF Reserve
1,513 Posts
What is to say that they aren't maintained? If they're daily driven cars, they're maintained. Why not save the owners the hassle and just do away with it?
Why not save *everyone* the hassle then, and just skip the testing altogether since everyone has a daily driver that must be maintained? If there's a standard out there, everyone needs to meet it equally. Something that never seems very clear in this subforum.

In any event, I think you have too much faith in the owners of crappy old cars which are daily driven, as at least a good portion of them are not maintained very well.

·
Registered
441 Posts
cmdrtask maybe you don't understand how emissions testing works, at least in the state of california when they are most stringent. Testing a vehicle involves comparing the emissions on the tested vehicle with the average emissions of same SAME model vehicle from a group of cars tested in the previous year. That average changes every year and becomes more laxed as the average group of vehicles wears down year after year. OBVIOUSLY every vehicle emits different amounts of co2. How is it fair to make older vehicles meet emissions requirements set 20 years later? There is no logic in that at all.

I went through the CA emissions requirements around 2000 before I moved out of the state and they are a complete joke. They were failing me for visual modifications regardless of my actual co2 output. My test figures were cleaner than the average mustang of that year WITH the supercharger and yet the failed me for not being able to check timing on the car with the blower bracket in the way. The whole emissions testing BS is a way for the state to make money not actually fix a problem. The people in charge of managing the emissions testing and implementing testing procedures are flunky dropouts who couldn't find their way around a bathroom. I've posted this documentation in a thread before just to shut up the naysayers who refused to believe the state is that retarded. I find it disheartening that people put so much faith in state run agencies that they are run responsibly and efficiently, but its hardly the case. What a waste of tax payer dollars to run these services. It's all about money and appeasing small interest groups who lobby these programs with very little insight on how to oversee its execution efficiently and fairly.

·
Moderator & USAF Reserve
1,513 Posts
cmdrtask maybe you don't understand how emissions testing works, at least in the state of california when they are most stringent.
Hustler, maybe you don't understand that we aren't discussing California here, and as such your entire post is not applicable to this thread.

If you're interested to see that there are currently graduated standards for vehicles in Arizona based on age, feel free to follow this link: http://www.azdeq.gov/environ/air/vei/download/dyna.pdf and check the standards yourself. Or go here: ADEQ: Air Quality Division: Vehicle Emissions to read about the entire Arizona testing program.

·
Registered
628 Posts
cmdrstask, cars 67 and older are exempt. Cars from 68-95 are emission tested and HAVE to pass. 96 and newer get an OBD check. I think any car that came with catalytic converters from the factory should be tested and have to pass regardless of year.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Actually my 90 GT has been listed as a classic here in AZ for the last 2years and is emissions exempt. All that is required is collector car insurance. There is a limitation on allowable mileage use though, but for me that's ok. My GT has had only 3000 miles logged on in the last 11yrs I've been in AZ so this bill suits me fine.

·
Moderator & USAF Reserve
1,513 Posts
Actually my 90 GT has been listed as a classic here in AZ for the last 2years and is emissions exempt. All that is required is collector car insurance. There is a limitation on allowable mileage use though, but for me that's ok. My GT has had only 3000 miles logged on in the last 11yrs I've been in AZ so this bill suits me fine.
So what you're saying is that this bill would actually not have any impact on you, or others with "collector cars", since you're already exempt?

·
Registered
525 Posts
So what you're saying is that this bill would actually not have any impact on you, or others with "collector cars", since you're already exempt?
Correct. Back in 2007, AZ passed legislation that allows any car that is 15 years or older to be exempt from emissions if it carries collector-car insurance. Not all 15 year old cars can get classic car insurance, but the mustang can. I have many friends with fox bodies that have been exempt from emissions since this passed. This new bill allows any car that is 25 years or older to be exempt, regardless of whether or not it has classic car insurance. Before the car had to be pre-1967 to be exempt with out classic car insurance.

• Existing law in Arizona only exempts pre-1967 model year vehicles and those vehicles designated as “collectible.”

·
Registered
525 Posts
what ever came of this?? got pushed to the back burner or died?
Arizona SB1324 passed and was signed in to law back in April. However, I guess the version that was passed was the House version which only extended the current exemption from anything pre-67 to pre-74, not anything older than 25 years.

The bill still does not change the exemption for cars 15 years or older that carry classic car insurance though.

http://www.azleg.gov/DocumentsForBill.asp?Bill_Number=SB1324

21 - 33 of 33 Posts