Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( :( :(

OK, here's what happened. I was installing my new Steeda pulleys and the Steeda installer bolt brokeoff inside the crankshaft !!!! I sick with anger. I have no one to blame but myself. I'm still not sure what happened but I don't care at this point...

I'm just in dire need of some support and guidance right now. Tomorrow I'm towing her to the dealership and hopefully they can extract the bolt from the end of the crankshaft.

I feel like a complete dumbass and have lost a lot of my spirit right now. I never had anything this serious happen to me before and I'm just devastated. I'm going to have to take some sleeping pills to get to sleep tonight.

I know I may be going overboard...but if the dealership can't extract the bolt they'll have to replace the crankshaft!!! I don't even want to think how much that will cost.

Must drink lots of beer now....

Your fellow stanger.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Go to your local hardware store and buy an easy out kit. A reverse drill bit set that is made to go into broken bolts and bite inside them. Then if it works you reverse the drill and the bolt comes out with it. My freinds and I have accidentally broken bolts like that many a times and used an easy out with success just about every time.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Psycho-Stallion said:
Go to your local hardware store and buy an easy out kit. A reverse drill bit set that is made to go into broken bolts and bite inside them. Then if it works you reverse the drill and the bolt comes out with it. My freinds and I have accidentally broken bolts like that many a times and used an easy out with success just about every time.
I actually spent over an hour trying to get the bolt to come out using a reverse drill bit and an extractor. Had to give up when my muscles gave out. I got a pretty big extractor in there but just couldn't get it to loosen up. I'm hoping the dealership can finish what I started. I did manage to get the hole dead center on the broken bolt. Took me 30 minutes just to do that. I'm not a mechanic and don't pretend to be...I know when I'm licked.

I feel better already....gotta luv that beer. :)

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Well if you can't get it out with the Easy-out sounds to me like its crossthreaded.

For your sake I hope you don't have to replace the crank, that's one costly mistake. If that happended to me I would never do a mod to my car again.

Pray to the beer gods & good luck!
Eric

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Took it to Ford and they broke of a large easy out off in the crank. If it broke off going in, it might come out. If the treads were damaged and it broke coming out the easy out probably won't work.

Cost me almost a month and $2300 to fix. $1500 alone was simply engine removal and reinstall.

I know it's happened to others and some have gotten them out. Some didn't.

Either way, sorry to hear about it. It's way more common than it should be, and way too easy to mess up. Although I'm not a pro mechanic I have done many harmonic balancers and still don't know exactly what I did wrong to mess mine up. I would suggest the correct harmonic balancer installer instead of that cheap bolt.

Note the stock bolt has a tapered tip with no threads near the tip. The bolt that comes with the kit has a square tip with threads all the way. The hole is tappered in the crank. You go in too far and the square bolt gets it's threads and tip tappered. Now the bolt won't come out. If it broke going in, the balancer was probably not installed square.

Ed

·
Registered
200 Posts
Whoa, good luck man. This may seem stoopid, but if they can't get the bolt out, maybe it can be drilled out. If enough of the bolt is drilled out in the center, the threaded pieces should weaken and bend and you may be able to pull it out. After that, you'll probably have to use a helicoil to fix the threads. I had that happen and the helicoil made the threads better than new! I feel like I could take my crank pully on and off all day for fun. heh... Good luck man!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
That's really the best bet. Problem with the easy out is that if it breaks your really screwed. One problem with drilling it out is getting access to the bolt to drill on it. Ford took the whole front of my car off and still couldn't see well enough in there to work on it.

Ed

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ford had to take the whole front of your car off? I drilled mine out with only removing the fan and using a DeWalt 45degree angle drill.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Yeah man, Mine broke way down inside the hole. What a mess that was. Fan and radiator had to come off just to get room to work. No body work came off.

Ed

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm sooo lucky!!

Got it back from the dealership this afternoon. Took the guy 2.5 hours to remove the bolt and install the Steeda pulleys. I was amazed. Only $137....I know the service manager (Brother in law) and he hook me up with the employee rate.

I'm soooo lucky.

:joy:

·
Registered
313 Posts
I was following along and felt for ya.

Glad to hear success stories. Especially one's that come back from the dealership.

Marty

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Yes, very happy for you. Makes me wonder I they broke the easy out off in mine on purpose!

Anyway I'm glad it worked out okay.

Ed

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Great News!

Great to hear....gotta love the happy endings with hot rodders!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts