Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
My experience with these things are to save your money and spend it on headers/intakes or, something else. I never really noticed any improvement and when the blower went on I had massive charging problems and had to reinstall the stock pulleys.

This is my experience, I am sure there are people out there that have had no problem.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Yes

Yes, I noticed a slight performance gain after putting them on my car about 3yrs ago. The car seemed a little "peppier", and revved a little quicker - notice I said "little" in both of those descriptions. The gains aren't going to pin you back in your seat, but you should notice it.

In the Summer, I do have a little more trouble keeping the car cool with the A/C on - but it runs warm with the stock pulleys too, just not as warm. Some folks opt for the Cobra O/D WP pulley that brings the WP back up to speed.

Charging varies - for some, it's a major pain with U/Ds, for others, it's no biggie. As long as I don't idle for 20min with all accessories going, I'm fine. My puny 65amp alt has some trouble keeping up, especially at night, but that hasn't caused me any real problems.

I got my pulleys used for $45. I'm very pleased with them for the money. They don't really go bad or wear out very easily, so buying used might be a good, cost-effective option. Plus, if it turns out that you have any charging or cooling issues, you're not out a lot of dough.

Wade

·
Registered
873 Posts
An underdrive pulley set is a good bang-for-the-buck mod. They are cheap and you can tell the difference.

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
I run March underdrives with a ASp overdrive alt pulley and have no chanrging problems at all.

I haven't had any cooling problems either. Pullies tend to reveal if your system needs some attention. If your cooling system if perfect, you shouldn't really have a prob

·
Registered
183 Posts
headers and intakes dont cost 45 bucks used on the classifieds like pullies do. A good bang for the buck. they dont add hp like more airflow does, it just frees up hp that was already there by lessening the drag. Speed costs a lot of money. get gears if you dont already, then dont buy anything else until you can get some heads. People on here are switching combos all the time so you might get lucky and find a deal on H/C/I all at once, maybe even port matched for a fraction of the pieces new.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Stay with the street pulleys if you run the ac in the summer. If not, buy an ac delete kit and the pulleys at the same time and remove the smog pump and you'll notice a difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts