Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not own a DOHC mustang but am a big fan. I was on a website that sells brand new Ford engines. www.KarKraft.com They always have a lot of brand new engines etc. for sale. They must have connections with Ford or something . Anyways, I was on there tonight and they have the SVT blown 4.6 engines for around $12,000. Below the picture it says:Quote "NEWS FLASH", Ford has discontinued building these engines for production forever. Some stock will be kept around the country for warranty purposes so when their gone, they are really gone. The new 2005/2006 Mustang/Cobra will not use this engine" end quote. So what's the scoop. What engine will be in the new Mustang and cobra. I saw where the 05 GT would get a 3 valve 4.6, but what about the cobras? No more blowers? Or will we have blown 3-valves? Anybody have the inside scoop on this? Or do I need to rush out and get a blown 04 Cobra before they are gone forever.

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking that someone told me it was being built on the lincoln LS platform. I just hope it doesn't come with a Jaguar motor with a Ford decal on it. That would kinda spoil the mustang image to me.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
There's no way they can know that information. It's all speculation at this point.

Don't sweat it.. They didn't invest all this dough to ****can it after two years of production.

Alan :)

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Code001 said:
A blown 3v is a step backwards. We'll most likely have 5.4Ls.

-Code

I'm thinking that Ford hasn't been showing off that 5.0L Cammer at SEMA for nothing...I think the new Cobra will get that either N/A with about 425-450hp, or that motor blown with about 500hp...

·
US Navy Active Duty
652 Posts
I still believe Ford will stick with the current engine but top it off with the screw-type Eaton that sits atop the new Ford GT. Just my uneducated guess.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If anyone saw the interview with the Ford representative when he was talking about the new 4.6 3v GT, he accidently slipped and said that they are already starting work on the 5.4L for 05/06.

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seems like if the LS1 or GTO guys get 5.7 liters, Ford should at least give us 5.4 liters.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don't sweat it. The 2006 cobra is gonna be a 5.4 liter NA with 450 hp, or a 5.4L kenny bell twin screwed monster with 500 hp. If it end up being NA, it will be a strong motor that can easily be supercharged. I can't wait, that's why I'm keeping my 350Hp 99 cobra. The 2006 cobra is gonna be the baddest mustang ever, next to the 2000 cobra r. My 99 is my down payment, cause the 2006-07 is gonna probably cost 38-40k, at least, maybe more, although I hope not. Geeze, I better change careers, Law enforcement sounds awesome. Wish me luck.

Later

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Actually, except for the Eaton and iron block vs aluminum, the engine is similar to what has been around since 1994 (counting the Lincoln variants in the Mark and Continental). In addition, there are a few specialty cars with this engine (Panzos sp? as well as a few others). So even if Ford stops making it, there will still be many rebuildable blocks around for a long time. There's little reason you couldn't take a 98 block and rebuild it with forged internals and cap it with a KB and end up with a second generation terminator.

And even if they do stop making the 4.6 block, are they planning on discontinuing the 5.4 block as well?

It may not be around in a production Cobra, but I'm sure it will still be around in some form. If history is a guide, just look at the 302 block. That was dropped from the Mustang line back in '95. See how rare they are today? (Yeah, I know they made a bizzillion of them, but still...)

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Dont' they HAVE to keep parts in stock for 10 years?

Alan

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
sounda great but it's all pipe dreams until the actual production car comes out.

·
Registered
385 Posts
A little bird told me about the S197-based Cobra test mule they saw. It had the same motor as the new Lightning :).

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'm really torn between the current COBRA and the next generation COBRA, for a few reasons:

1.) If the new COBRA is going to be N/A, then it probably won't come with forged goodies, meaning that we will have the same dilemma that existed when trying to supercharge the 96-01 DOHC motors....detonation = kaboom. In addition, the potential with the current 03-04 DOHC motors is endless and has already been proven - they are very responsive to modification and can generate up to 1000 HP without letting go (i.e. the modern day Toyata Supra). The potential with a N/A motor will be much more limited, even if it is 5.0 or 5.4 L.

2.) Although I like the looks of the 96-98 COBRAs the best, I have to say that the new edge body style rocks all over the 05 Mustang GT body style. And in no way do I think the new 06 COBRA is going to look like the Shelby concept. It will look like the 05 Mustang GT, with a revised front/rear bumper and revised hood = what Ford has done since the COBRA came out in 1993 (cost cutting to make the car marketable).

And for those of you saying that the COBRA will make 500 HP, put down the pipe and breath a little oxygen. Making a car that powerful means that it will be hard to get the car insured at a decent rate. In addition, Ford Motor Co. is not about to piss all over the handful of exclusive $150K Ford GT supercar owners by making a $35-$40K COBRA that makes comparable horsepower figures.

I hate to say it, but my gut feeling is that we will get the N/A 5.0 Cammer DOHC motor, or a N/A 5.4 motor....and we all know that the current 03-04 blown 4.6s are so much better.

·
Registered
815 Posts
As long as the cammer is forged, it's going to make just about everyone happy. 400 N/A Forged hp is absolutely wonderful by my standards. Throw a 150 shot or a blower on it and guess what? 500hp+

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Jahel'98COBRA said:

...and we all know that the current 03-04 blown 4.6s are so much better.
Why do you say that? The 5.0L Cammer with the Roots blower in that concept FR100 Panel truck puts out 600hp/500tq...:confused:

And the Cammers are forged btw...

·
Registered
726 Posts
doogz said:
As long as the cammer is forged, it's going to make just about everyone happy. 400 N/A Forged hp is absolutely wonderful by my standards. Throw a 150 shot or a blower on it and guess what? 500hp+
A forged N/A motor will not happen, as it would be much more cost effective to use hypereutectic internals.

In addition, why bother with all the hassles of adding a power adder to a N/A car (i.e. installation, upgrade fuel pump, fuel lines, blah, blah, blah) when you can have it all from the factory with the current 03-04 COBRA setup?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I don't see any reason why they would ever go N/A forged. Less friction losses with hypercrap pistons, so you get a better hp claim out of the box...and it's cheaper.

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It would probably be good for Ford if they can use the same motor in the cobra as in the lightning so there would only have to be one motor to build. They could just give us the 5.4 out of the new Ford GT, that way one motor would cover all 3 vehicles. I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's hard to know wether to consider buying a new mustang with all the new stuff you hear about. Like our local Ford dealer has had a bright red 04 Mach 1 sitting on the lot for several months now and Ford has a $3000 rebate on them.It drives me crazy every time I drive past I think about stopping and dealing on it. Then I think next years base 3-valve GT is going to have as much power as the 4-valve Mach 1 and I'm afraid that in a few years the only thing special about my Mach would be the shaker scoop. I wonder if they will ever make a Mach 1 version with a shaker with the new 05 body style? I used to wonder how back in the 60's how could someone drive past a ford dealer with shelbys sitting there and not stop to get one. Now I drive by and see Mach 1's and Cobras, but can't afford them. I guess now we know how those guys in the 60's felt.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts