Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the mods in my sig are short tube headers even worth the effort. I know long tubes are better, SO PLEASE DON'T TELL ME TO JUST BUY LONG TUBES :rolleyes:
I can get a set of short tubes for my car for very cheap and I do all my own mods, so not only would I rather do it myself, but I don't trust any of the shops around here anyway. :p

So my delema is, is it even worth he effort of the install of shorty headers? Like say if these headers were free. (Cause I know there are at least 10 people reading this that are going to post "dude you should get long tubes they are better blagh blagh blagh" which I am fully well aware of). :lol:

I would most likely also be installing a ProChamber, but LONG TUBES ARE NOT AN OPTION RIGHT NOW SO PLEASE KEEP THIS TO THE QUESTION AT HAND!
Thanx guys

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Long tubes are a waste of time and money unless you are building a serious car. I can give you a long list of cars that have made 500+ rwhp and run in the mid to low 10's with unequal shorties and a prochamber. You will be very happy with shorties and a prochamber.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RdRunner I agree 100% on 5.0 cars, but remember, We're talking 4.6 here. I see all of these adds that say shortys add 5-7 HP.
5-7 HP is hardley worth all the agrivation that is involved in putting headers on a 4.6.
However, the fact that I have a charger may bump that 5-7 up to 10-15 which then would spark my interest in the install.
You are dead right with the 5.0's though, I actually gained 5 HP with my 93 going from FFRP lopng tubes to Mac equal length shortys. :confused:

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Mine isnt a 4.6, but I am happy with the performance that my engine is giving me with 1 5/8" shorties. Im sure I could add a little power/torque with long tubes, but I feel I dont need to spend the time and $ for a swap at this point in time.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
saleensc90 said:
Look at my signature, I have unequal length MAC shorties and making 508rwhp with more to come. :)
WOW. Same HP!!!! I beat ya on torque though:p

Probably due to your B-303.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anybody out there with shortys on a 4.6?
I know that they work on 5.0's but the ones that go on my car are not very impressive looking. :rolleyes:
As a matter of fact they don't look much differant than the factory manafolds :(

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I read an article in 5.0 Magazine where they said it was not worth the money and aggravation to install shorties on a 4.6L because the 4.6's are tuned so well from the factory that the mods don't produce the power that the 5.0L did - they were talking about N/A though.

I think on a Supercharged application, any exhaust modification is a good idea. You don't have any problem getting the air in the motor with the blower......but you do wanna worry about getting it out.

-Rob-
:evil:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SMKD YA said:
I read an article in 5.0 Magazine where they said it was not worth the money and aggravation to install shorties on a 4.6L because the 4.6's are tuned so well from the factory that the mods don't produce the power that the 5.0L did - they were talking about N/A though.

I think on a Supercharged application, any exhaust modification is a good idea. You don't have any problem getting the air in the motor with the blower......but you do wanna worry about getting it out.

-Rob-
:evil:
I agree with your final statement, but I have trouble placing validity in anything 5.0 Magazine says. :rolleyes:
No offence to you, but 5.0 and MM&FF are a bunch of bought and paid for bung holes.:bs:
I like the pretty pictures, and the cool cars that they put in there, but there tech articles are pretty crappy.
What I really want to find out is even if the shortys are free, is it worth the aggravation, or should I just leave the stockers in there until I get the time and money to do long tubes (which will be most likely a long time).
Will the short tubes make enough power increase to validate the headache of installing them?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I can attest that LTs are definitely "considerably" better than shorties, more so in blown combos. I had aftermarket 1 5/8" shorties and I noticed a significant seat of the pants increase when I went to 1 5/8" LTs. Also removing the H-pipe is a complete breeze now, and install was pretty simple with the LTs.
I should of never bought shorties in the first place. HTH

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Cory - what mufflers are you running on your car?

As far as shorties on a 4.6, I wouldn't waste the time. Go with LTs and do it once and be happy. A friend put the shorties on his older 4.6 and didn't notice any gains after a PITA install.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
I have the Mac 1 5/8" longtubes and If I ever change my exhaust again I assure you I will be going with the Shortys..I want to buy a set of the AFM Bassani 1 3/4" Shortys for my motor and a matching X pipe or Prochamber..Dont get me wrong, Longtubes look cool as heck, make good power and all, but I will sacrifice a couple HP for a installation that isnt a PITA ....Also, with Longtubes, they make getting the starter out Nearly Impossible with the headers on..

I believe it would definately be worth Installing the shortys on your 4.6 because of the blower...Anything is better than a stock Manifold..

Jeff

·
Corral Charter Member
3,746 Posts
I put shorties on my 99 4.6 GT and didn't pick up **anything**. This was naturally aspirated.

Save your money and your knuckles for long tubes.

Steve

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
lotsaspray said:
Yeah, that's what I figured. :rolleyes:

You knew it was coming sooner or later!

:lol: :lol: :D :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
827 Posts
FRPP Shorties here with V2SQ...boost comes on faster, gain considerable SOTP hp...dyno numbers will be in a few weeks.
~Darren

1 - 20 of 21 Posts