Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 1993 5.0 South Carolina police edition notch yesterday.
The guy I bought it from claims the AOD in these 5.0 police stangs is better and different than the everyday stang AOD????? I think he is wrong.
Any of you know if there was a police edition AOD ??? If so, whats different???

:confused:

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
They might have the wide ratio gear set in them but I kinda doubt that. There is a way to tell if you have a wide ratio tranny but I don't know what it is. Aod's are basically all the same except that sometime in the early 90's they changed some of the internal oiling system so that the back gears get better lubrication but besides that I don't think there is any difference... IE one years tranny can't handle or perform any better than any other year..

Although I am pretty sure that your tranny has something that most other mustang tranny's don't come with from the factory, which is a heavy duty tranny cooler.

Scott

·
Registered
315 Posts
No..Police AOD does not have wide ratio, they are almost like standard AOD except few modifications,...overdrive servo, valve-body, more clutches, big external trans cooler.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
The 'real' police car/taxi/fleet cars with an AOD have a P R N OD D 2 shift pattern.The passeger car(regular non po-po car) have the more common P R N OD D 1 shift pattern.

Mind you,that many police depts bought civilian cars and slapped the light bars and radios on them.Not all Mustang cop cars are special service vehicles.Be careful and check for documentation!!

The special service valve body allows a 2nd gear star,basically is is a low gear lockout.

I my self think these valvebodies are junk,no way to hold 1st gear.(They shift right at 4200 rpms off the governor)I have 2 of them in ziploc baggies,have no idea what to do with them.(They are for sale,will fit any AOD.See the parts section)

They cannot be converterd to the passenger car valvebody,the 1-2 shift valve is completely different.The fleet issue valvebody has a 2 peice 1-2 valve and the passenger car has a 1 peice 1-2 shift valve.They cannot be swapped with the other shift valve,the bore is a different size

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last night I wrote down VIN#, looked at the DSO and buck tags behind drivers headlight and it says POLICE .....and that good stuff. Car has Oil cooler, heavy external tranny cooler, 160 mph SSP speedo, still has radar rack & radio rack mounted on the dash.
Wrote codes down DSO tag codes and looked on internet site www.sspmustang.org to see what this stuff means. Looks like for 1993 there were 3 trannys available for SSP stangs. The 5speed OD, Auto-A4LD, and the AOD.

Pretty sure mine is a conventional AOD. It shifts and acts just like my other 1987 AOD car. The 93 notch has the P R N OD D 1 shift pattern, again just like my 1987 car. Does make me wonder what the Auto-A4LD tranny really is. Maybe it is the tranny you are describing 84 LTD LX. Anyway, going to do more research........

Thanks

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The A4LD trann come on 4cyl and it has the P R N OD D 3 2 1 shift pattern and is very weak

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
http://www.evooa.org/index.html

This is the BEST source of info on the net,pertaining to Mustang (or any!) Police cars.

The low gear lock out valvebodies,I have one from an '88 Crown Vic, and the one from my '85,were part of the 'package'.

It is quite possible that they did not have any left in the late 93 model year production or the AOD was replaced somewere along the line.The rebuild would have a new valvebody and most likely not the lowgear lockout one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts