Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was installing my lower intake after an oil leak in the back and broke off the threads on bolt #1. I mean the threads in the heads are on the bolt! I don't know wtf happened. I was saying to myself, damn it's not 16 ft/lbs yet? Then I hear this snap! I said oh ish! I pulled the bolt out and the threads are still on the bolt! So what should I do? And how should I go about doing it? I need help fast cause my dyno tune is in 2 weeks and need to have it running good by then.

·
Registered
125 Posts
AFR HEADS

I HAD A SET OF AFR 165 AND NOPE THERE NOT HELICOILED. IF I REMEMBER RIGHT THE INSTUCTIONS SAY NOT TO TORQUE THE LOWER INTAKE BOLTS, BUT TO MAKE THEM SNUG :eek: I WOULD HELICOIL THE HOLES FOR THE INTAKE AND EXHAUST. I'VE SINCE SOLD MY AFR HEADS AND GOT SOME EDELBROCK PERFORMERS THAT ARE COILED, I CAN TELL YOU I NO LONGER FEEL THE NEED TO PULL OUT MY HAIR WHEN INSTALLING THE HEADER BOLTS, CAUSE THE BOLTS ALMOST START THEMSELFS.

·
Premium Member
4,226 Posts
Well...

You can try using a little longer bolt if you only stripped out the top few threads in the head. The best way to avoid this is to fab up some intake studs....can either use some all-thread...or find some right lenght studs.

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
I did the same thing with my 165's. Go to the hardware store and get some longer bolts, thats what I did and fortunatly there was enough thread left to grab.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. What if there isn't any more thread left? I looked down into the bolt hole and it's tough to see but it looks very smooth in there (like maybe the threads are gone). I have about a 1/4" of thread on my bolt. I hope there's more down there.

·
Registered
986 Posts
afr's are nice heads, but i wonder about the material. it seems too soft. i pulled a helicoil when i was installing the pedestal rockers. i thought i fixed it, but it pulled out again when i was at the strip. i had to drill out the hole and install a 1/2" to 5/16 reducer. i never had any problem with the other 15 rockers after 8,000 miles. perhaps there are soft spots thoughout.

·
Registered
611 Posts
;How much it cost to get the afr's totally helicoiled? Cause when I purchase some I don't need that :barf: .

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Well...

Jeff88coupe said:
You can try using a little longer bolt if you only stripped out the top few threads in the head.

Thank you all!!! You saved my life. I bought some longer bolts and that did the trick. I'll definitely look into studs though. Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts