Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could give me an actual weight or even a guesstimation of the weight differences of an AOD car (mine is an 87LX) vs a manual car with exact options other than the transmission.

Thanks in Advance,

Jason

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I have installed both a T-5 and an AOD and my guesstimation would be that the AOD car would be about 50 lbs. heavier, all else being equal.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow I expect more but 50lbs is still a pretty descent amount more. I'm considering my options for this car right now on whether to do the conversion to T-5 or do other modifications and improve the AOD later when it's time for the rebuild.

It's pretty much a slug at the track with 2.3+ 60ft times (crappy tires and unprepped track) and 15.6+ 1/4m times but that's completely stock down to the silencer and 2.73 gears. The car should be really light since it is pretty much optionless with exception of A/C.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Yea, ~90lbs more is right. I swapped from an AOD to a Tremec and it was a big difference weight wise....and a Tremec is still heavier than the factory T5. My life has been so much better since I swapped to a 5 speed, the engineers who designed the AOD are a few sandwiches short of a picnic

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
'91 GT said:
the engineers who designed the AOD are a few sandwiches short of a picnic
Yeah you are probably right because any transmission that would slow a car down by almost a whole second if not more must've been dropped on their heads as a children.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Id agree about the designers of the AOD. Of course I dont know too much about them , I can see are sluggish and a HUGE difference from a 5 spd car. What was Ford thinking?!?!? Why couldnt they have not worried about the economy crap.:confused:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
ithought it was more like 120-160lbs the converter alone weights like 25-30lbs and they take like twice as much fluid"trans,converter,lines,cooler in rad" all have fluid in them , i think its like 12 quarts total versus like 4-5 in t-5.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to find a scale locally to weigh my car but it will probably not help determine an exact weight but it may go a ways of giving us an idea.

My 95 Pig weighed in at 3620lb with me in full clothing about 165-170lbs no spare but some other miscellaneous items laying inside.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts