Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to change my torque convertor in my AOD and will replace the filter at the same time. I'm assuming, I'm going to have to add quite a bit of fluid. What type do I want. Just regular fluid, synthetic, B&M Trick Shift, or what? There are many types ranging from low cost fluid to high dollar synthetic. So what do I want first off, and how many quarts will I need when changing convertor and filter? Thanks.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ttt

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
Well I've always used just regular Dextron/Mercon. The B&M trick shift (I think) is similar to type F, it has friction modifier in it to help the clutches grab better, but I don't think it is good to run it on a tranny that calls for only Dextron Mercon. As for Synthetic, you will have some of the same problems as Synthetic oil, if you add the synthetic tranny fluid to an older tranny your seals might swell a little and you might get a few leaks. I know a friend of mine put sythetic oil in his car and the rear main started leaking along with the valve cover gaskets, he switched back to regular petroleum based oil and the leaks went away... I've heard this happening from several people... I personally won't run anything other than just regular dextron/mercon... some people have preferences to brand, but most of them are all the same. I'd just run the regular stuff and change the tranny filter and fluid on every second or third oil change.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.