Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'91 5.0 AOD

I have currently purchased the Holley SystemaxII engine package whick includes the (Aluminum Heads, Roller cam, Intake, timing chain and gears, etc). I was in the process of changing all of this out last weekend, and I decided that while I was in there (engine compartment) with the motor torn down to the short block, I would go ahead and install a torque converter.

My question for you all is this: Since I plan on replacing the motor mounts anyways, I am thinking about leaving the transmission in the car and instead pulluning the short block out. I figured that I can then simply crawl into the engine bay, and change the converter this way. Will this be difficult or too much trouble to try to do? Also is tranny fluid going to go everywhere when I seperate the AOD from the block? I would appreciate any suggestions or input on this situation!!
I have been reading the corral for a long time and have seen a lot of problems solved!! Now this one is mine!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Make your life easier, pull the block, you'll need a good gap to slip the torque converter out any way. As long as you take the nuts off that hold the torque converter to the flex-plate. The torque converter should stay on the tranny, but could slip off if it's hanging down hill, or if it gets bumped.
Careful pulling the converter out of the tranny, there's a shaft that might slip out with the converter.
Make sure you get a good tranny cooler, I burned up 2 AODs in 1 summer, and that's why my 5.0 is now in my truck. Now I'm going to drop in a 408 stroker with a 5 speed. The only thing automatic about the AODs I had were the problems. I hated how it downshifted at WOT, and that I couldn't manually select all the gears.
LOL

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
AOD

Remove the thin metal shield in the front of the lower part of the bellhousing and take out the flexplate to converter bolts. Then the block separates from the tranny when you remove the bellhousing bolts. No spill problems. When you pull the converter off the shaft, it just slips off. Might spill a little out of the converter. When you reinstall a converter, there are 3 distinct levels of "slip together" you
should feel - the inner and outer shafts, and the pump drive sleeve that's on the converter itself and goes into the front of the trans. Make sure you feel all 3 go together - rotate the converter easily and they'll mesh. Definitely go a good coolr like B&M plate type, and use synthetic fluid. See info in recent post about building up an AOD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts